Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently building a 63 nova and have a 5.3 LS motor in it. I pulled out the 4L60E and I am swapping it with a 4L80E. Has anyone put this transmission in a first GEN and if so how much modification to the tunnel is required ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in the process right now. The 4L80-E has a huge oil pan. And I want more ground clearance, so we are cutting the trans and driveline tunnel out and re-making them and we are widening it by about 2”. We are also raising the motor up as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have some pictures in my build thread on what I did in my 2nd gen. Same floor as a first gen. I would say I widen mine 2 inches as well and made the tunnel taller too.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have sbc and 4l80e in my 63 . My engine/trans combo is pretty much in the center of a MII clip and I had to do some massaging with a bfh on the pass. side of the tunnel. There's a sqare shaped protrusion on the trans that was the problem; I think it's where the accumulators are located. If you have later 4l80 with the cooler line near the rear you'll definitely need the banjo style fitting.
If your engine is offset to the pass. side , i would think you'll need mods beyond what a BFH can do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey guys,
I'm putting a 6.0 and 4l80e in my 63 wagon. I have a mustang ll clip. I'm wondering what trans crossmember you guys are using? Any info would be great! THX!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I dont know that anyone actually makes one. We fabbed one up for my swap. It was on the simple side so to speak

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I have been looking and hadnt seen anything. Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to fire up the welder..again! thanks again!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Well I have been looking and hadnt seen anything. Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to fire up the welder..again! thanks again!
I used a G force and while it's a stout pc, it's very heavy and expensive.
I still may cut up my th400 xmember and weld new vertical pcs and shave some weight and sell the gforce.
Kind of like this;

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey 63wagoon I have the exact Sam build. We ended up cutting the tunnel all the way back to right in front of the back seat. I welded in Detroit speed subframe connectors. We haven’t found any one who makes a trans cross member. So we are making mine. The sub frame connectors come with an adjustable mounting bracket for a trans cross member 0B6D5DDD-D477-4341-A186-B6A1A980DB63_1566930975741.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Reviving an old thread...

I am planning on swapping in a 4L80e into my 63. Spoke to the folks at G force crossmembers. They gave me advice on making a crossmember.

Still haven't decided on a stand alone controller.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 63 with a 5.3 and 4L80e installed (but yet to drive though). I ended up cutting the majority of the tunnel out but that is because there was already a nasty patch job of a previous tranny swap years ago. I would say that I also bought similar banjo fittings as posted earlier to help out with the fitment. I will admit I have yet to fab up the new trans tunnel so I will see how that goes in the future.

As for trans cross member, I have a TCI front clip and I made my own 2" square tubing frame connectors (to relocated Caltracs for a minitub). I decided instead of trying to make my own, I just got a hold of TCI and purchased the trans mount that they sell with their kits. It turned out super nice and i was just able to weld some angle iron to my frame connectors to mount. So far I am happy with it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you have any interest in manually controlling the trans. ; see my post in misc parts.
Thanks. I want to have it be fully automatic when cruising around. Installed the Transgo kit this weekend in both of the transmissions I had in the garage. Not too bad. First time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts