i do plan to semi-rebuild my bock. RE-using stock crank, rods, maybe pistons

the motor is going in a 69 chevy nova which was an original 6cyl,
manual brakes
no p/s
turbo 350 trans, 2600 stall
stock rear end, for now
stock driveshaft
about 3200lbs

i am looking for the 500hp +/- 30hp range using stock heads.

it will be a daily driver to get me to car auctions, to school, and to sonoma for some drag.

THIS IS MY FIRST big block, but i am familiar with power.. i worked at a machine shop in san francisco called Rescino Performance, used to be called Bayshore engines. and yes if you know Mr. Nick senior, he was a legend. and in my books, can build motors like no other. and i was around big blocks, brodix heads, 502 aluminum dart motors. sbc's pushing out close to 800 hp naturally aspirated.

but even with all that, i was the mechanic and engine tear down. was into helping assemble heads, some port work, blending bowls, etc.

so, with that, can someone tell me how i can get power out of this beast??

i plan on getting a set of stock heads, im thinking rectangular ports.. and a single plane intake..

this will be taken to the track prob 2-5 times a month.

i will take apart the block, install new bearings all around, new rings, and re use my stock components. i want a static c/r around 10-1. no more unless i find some aluminum heads. then ill go to 11.5-1.

any ideas? again, all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Easiest way to make big power is heads, Brodix are well known for BB heads.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that the heads make wonders of diferance. but i dont have 1k to spend on heads. so the use of the stock heads, maybe even oval port, is required.

budget... well i got the block for 200. and the peanut heads w/ comp roller rockers, pushrods, i can pick up for another 100. so i might go that rought, sell the heads, and get some other heads. closed chamber if possible.

i know 500hp is no major breakthrough, so if some of you with bbc's can chime in, or post a setup close to 500, that would be koo!:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do any of you know if i can achieve this 10-1 SC/R with stock pistons? milled down heads, maybe block of course.

also whats the relatively "max rpm" i can go with stock internals, new bearings, but stock, say cast parts? any ideas? im thinking 6-7k if balanced.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I spin my BB 402 to 7500, I spent a bit extra on the valve train, and it's a 2 bolt cast crank engine. Your engine builder will know best.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if im right, the 402 has smaller stroke, which will be more easy to rev... so im thinking around 6500 be the peak..

now i have a 2600 stall, so i need a cam that with an operating range from 2500-6500.

i plan to have a single open plenum intake, 750 holley DP mech. secondarys. im not sure if i want hydraulic lifters, in there now, but im not afraid to work on the car, so which way do i go???

what else do you need to know?

also i want that choppy idle, i know with 10:1 C/r its not goin to be all that great, but is that acomplished by the lift and lsa?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that power and rpm range I'd bet some large oval ports 781 or 049's with 2.19/1.88 valves would work the best. Or some closed chamber large ovals. Maybe this cam with EDM'd lifters http://www.lunatipower.com/CamSpecCard.aspx?partNumber=60242
.610 lift on intake .625 lift on exhaust

can the heads clear this?

or is that were the 1.7 ratio rockers come into play? and this should clear the piston right???

also how do i know if i have a tall deck block?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
.610 lift on intake .625 lift on exhaust

can the heads clear this?

or is that were the 1.7 ratio rockers come into play? and this should clear the piston right???

also how do i know if i have a tall deck block?
Most aftermarket performance pistons will have valve notches that will work with that amount of lift-stock rebuilder style might also work but you'd have to check it. The heads will work with the cam if you use the recomended springs for the cam and the installed height was set to spec by the machine shop. I think the tall deck blocks had a "T" cast on them as well as the intake. Or just check the casting number or measure the deck height.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most aftermarket performance pistons will have valve notches that will work with that amount of lift-stock rebuilder style might also work but you'd have to check it. The heads will work with the cam if you use the recomended springs for the cam and the installed height was set to spec by the machine shop. I think the tall deck blocks had a "T" cast on them as well as the intake. Or just check the casting number or measure the deck height.

im not boring this block:eek: im monkey balling it, and throwing new rings in, along with bearings, yada yada... also taking my rotating assembely to the shop i used to work at to balance it.

Your block has H-Per-*** cast on it! LOL someone forgot the P on PASS

Most of the ones I've seen were marked HI-PERF PASS for high performance passenger car use.

Mortec list your motor for years 78-90 and doesn't specify deck height so I bet it the standard height block: http://web.archive.org/web/20071223022854/www.mortec.com/bbc.htm
haha yea i noticed that lol, also you can use sbc distributors on a big block right? well if i take my distributor out of my 307, and just set it in the BBC to where the dist lines up with cam, and it falles BELOW the deck.... looks like i need a new distributor..... :(

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No sense balancing it if the rotating assembly is staying stock and you're not going to spin it-JMO I'd scrap the rectangular port heads and single plane intake idea as well. Sounds like it's a tall deck block if the 307 distributor isn't long enough-that means you'll need a tall deck intake as well or spacers-you might want to verify it's tall deck for sure by setting the intake on there and checking the distributor again. It didn't come with a distributor?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No sense balancing it if the rotating assembly is staying stock and you're not going to spin it-JMO I'd scrap the rectangular port heads and single plane intake idea as well. Sounds like it's a tall deck block if the 307 distributor isn't long enough-that means you'll need a tall deck intake as well or spacers-you might want to verify it's tall deck for sure by setting the intake on there and checking the distributor again. It didn't come with a distributor?
ok, i hear the no balance the rotating assembly.:bored: but single plane, yes. and i have no intake for it yet.

and i just found a set of alum heads all done up for the price of a used set of "peanuts".

all this will be checked when i take back to Rescino.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hate guys that flake....

so guy had a set of brodix alum heads that was going to sell them to me for a mere $300. :yes::yes::yes: but sold them cuz some ******* gave him $500 instead. :no:

but its ok, found a set of 049's for $200

going to magnaflux, surface and pressure test. of course, but no porting.. i just want this motor to go in! :devil:

was this a score or what?? an then i thought the intake bolts were broken in the thread, to find out its just silocone.:D:D

ima happy camper!

IMAG0363 by crazychrisbiker, on Flickr

IMAG0364 by crazychrisbiker, on Flickr

·
Registered
768 Posts
Congrats, Im doing the same thing for my 70. Found a gen V 454 out of a 91 sierra SS. Had the block cleaned, decked, bored .030 over, same rods/crank but new domed pistons(to raise compression) with a Lunati voodoo cam. Then had the original peanut heads ported, polished, and gasket matched. Same rockers but new pushrods and lifters.

·
Registered
518 Posts
so guy had a set of brodix alum heads that was going to sell them to me for a mere $300. but sold them cuz some ******* gave him $500 instead.

but its ok, found a set of 049's for $200

going to magnaflux, surface and pressure test. of course, but no porting.. i just want this motor to go in!

was this a score or what?? an then i thought the intake bolts were broken in the thread, to find out its just silocone.

ima happy camper!

You got a good set of heads..A lot of guys are running in the 10's with the large oval ports..:yes:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats, Im doing the same thing for my 70. Found a gen V 454 out of a 91 sierra SS. Had the block cleaned, decked, bored .030 over, same rods/crank but new domed pistons(to raise compression) with a Lunati voodoo cam. Then had the original peanut heads ported, polished, and gasket matched. Same rockers but new pushrods and lifters.
is it running yet? an its goin into your nova or???

You got a good set of heads..A lot of guys are running in the 10's with the large oval ports..:yes:
so ive seen, im actually not going to port these heads. just slap em on there because i want to get this thing running. ill look into porting when i go rebuild and bump up the compression so i can really use the heads to there potential. but for now, i think there goin to be fine..

1 - 20 of 156 Posts