Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So a few weeks ago, after almost a year of Craigslist and eBay searches, I finally found a Nova that felt right. She's '63 (194ci) with pretty much original everything (including original power steering) a California car it's whole life, and, as far as I know, I'm the 3rd owner. Also, as mentioned in the title, this will be the FIRST car I've owned in over a decade.

The story goes like this:

• Sell 1987 Nissan Sentra for $400 after college to pay for moving van to get to Boston for first job.

• Live in large city, walk or bike to work, and enjoy life without the costs and hassles associated with car ownership for the whole of my 20's.

• End up using ZipCar (www.zipcar.com) for any instance I need wheels. (Zipcar is a car rental service in major cities with cars parked pretty much everywhere. Hourly rental fees cover rental, gas and insurance and you can always find the type of car you need: Car, truck, SUV, etc).

• Moved to San Francisco. Still walk or bike to work.

• Realized the best part of of living in SF is getting out of SF to all the awesome places in Northern California. End up using Zipcar a whole lot more on the weekends and decide buying a car may be worthwhile.

• With the used-car-salesman-father who raised me around cars and classic cars I felt like weekend road trips would be even better with something cooler than a Nissan Sentra.

• Always loved the first gen Novas...

Anyway, that brings us up to now, and the new Nova is in the shop (Crown Customs here in SF) making her as road-worthy as possible without losing the great stock-look she's managed to hold onto through all these years. This includes front disc power brakes (and 15" wheels to go along with them), anti-sway bars, electronic ignition, and replacing all those things that GM never built to last 50 years.

The interior is in great shape and the original paint still has a shine (in some spots). I'm still debating if I'm going to rush ahead and get her repainted right away or roll with the patina for a while.

So with that all said, It's good to be here and I'm sure you'll see me around asking random questions and sharing what I'm learning as time goes by (First lesson: "Bolt on disc brake kit" is not really "bolt on").

Good to meet all of you.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,923 Posts
Welcome to SNS forum........Check out the Southwest section for events & BBQ's like the one coming up in Tracy on May 21 !!! :thumbsup: Fantastic deuce you got there ! :yes: :yes:

Aloha, Ric

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!

Been reading and following posts and threads for months now trying to wrap my head around the most practical upgrades and repair options. I test-drove and kicked the tires of probably 20 or so Novas before purchasing this one and it was amazing the things I needed to look up after seeing each car (one car was missing the whole trunk pan, another had more gauges than an Apache helicopter mounted down the dash, another had a 383 built by satan and maybe one working drum brake).

Anyway, it'll be great to get out on a cruise or BBQ this summer (and escape the SF fog).

Also, if any of you made an upgrade that was a huge driving improvement I'd love to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Welcome to steves!!
Man ......you live in the right area:yes:Im from sf...25 years...moved over to alameda a couple years ago.lots and lots of norcal novas in the bay area and we do lots of stuff together....our last get together was out at ocean beach,Next saturday is our Norcal novas annual BBQ....this time out in tracy...You should come...with that nice little nova.sign up in the sw forum
ps I hope you have a garage to park that beauty in:yes:
ps what neighborhood do you live in??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Batman! So, YOU'RE the one who bought that '65 SS about 2 hours before I could get out there and check it out... Well done sir. That's a sweet car (as well as your '67 obviously).

I moved out to SF two years ago after 9 years in Boston. Love that city, but definitely happy to be living in a place that's not a frozen-death-tundra for a quarter of the year.

Anyway, not entirely sure if the brakes and everything will be done by next weekend, but it'll be close so I'll definitely try to make it. If I don't make it, I'll definitely hit up the next event.

I live right in Pacific Heights and the Nova has a nice big parking spot in the garage right under the building (and she's gonna look nice and out of place next to all the beige Honda crossovers and Lexus' down there).

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Batman! So, YOU'RE the one who bought that '65 SS about 2 hours before I could get out there and check it out... Well done sir. That's a sweet car (as well as your '67 obviously).

I moved out to SF two years ago after 9 years in Boston. Love that city, but definitely happy to be living in a place that's not a frozen-death-tundra for a quarter of the year.

Anyway, not entirely sure if the brakes and everything will be done by next weekend, but it'll be close so I'll definitely try to make it. If I don't make it, I'll definitely hit up the next event.

I live right in Pacific Heights and the Nova has a nice big parking spot in the garage right under the building (and she's gonna look nice and out of place next to all the beige Honda crossovers and Lexus' down there).
You called when I was giving the guy the money:yes:Its a sweet car!!!I love it....im gonna fix it up for my wife:yes:
There is a guy in san fran over off monterey by glen park...his name is novabro(mike)he has a 67 hart top and a 63 wagon....he knows tons about novas and is a great nova resourse....send him a pm when your car is done and have a cruise

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice whip! looks very clean.
By the way SF is where Im planning on moving if all goes well.
That is gorgeous city you live in.:D

PS: it's such a small world..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts