Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent most of today cleaning up the firewall. I have everything removed except the steering column but thats next. I stripped all the old seal in the seams and took a razor to get everything totally clean. Im not looking for a totally smoothed look but want it to look better. I guess what Im asking is should I just reseal it with the factory seal that was there or is there a better way of doing it. Could I just paint right over the seam or is this a bad idea. The car is always garage kept and I doubt it will see many rainy days. If I do reseal it then whats the correct seal for it.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
3M has a brushable seam sealer that I have used. works really well. I would seal it. JMO

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3M has a brushable seam sealer that I have used. works really well. I would seal it. JMO
The 3m stuff looks like better stuff than whats factory if it goes on smoother. Ill give it a shot. I just didnt want that glooped up look that the factory put on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you want it smooth [no brush marks] tape it off on either side of where you want the sealer. Put a bead of sealer along the seam and use a small brush dipped in Wax & Grease remover to smooth it out. Then pull the tape off before it dries fully. I would use either 3M® UltraPro seam sealer in a caulk tube or SEM® 2 part seam sealer [catalysed and require a special gun to apply]. Autobody supply or a good auto parts store should have the sealer. The 3M® Bushable sealer in the quart can will not smooth out as easy as the UltraPro sealer.

Link to the Ultrapro product info...
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XMEOXMEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok another thought. Has anyone tried to stitch weld the seam and how did it come out? I mean fully weld the seam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok another thought. Has anyone tried to stitch weld the seam and how did it come out? I mean fully weld the seam.
i dont know about welding the seam? would be a lot of work and you would have to use body filler on it after welding to make it smooth. ... i used regular 3M fast and firm sealer on mine ...smoothed it out with my finger. then block sanded it after it dried...it seemed to work out pretty good.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont know about welding the seam? would be a lot of work and you would have to use body filler on it after welding to make it smooth. ... i used regular 3M fast and firm sealer on mine ...smoothed it out with my finger. then block sanded it after it dried...it seemed to work out pretty good.
Well its doesnt matter anyhow because Im going to end up deleting the heater box since I dont like where the moisture is forming on the inside of the firewall heater ducts. My plan has changed a little since im going to be cutting some access panels in the firewall so I can seal the whole area. Its going to make welding the seam look easy. I have to patch some holes anyhow. Im going to see about getting a poly surfacer of some kind to smooth out the firewall. I dont plan on going heavy anyhow just enough to give it a smoother look. Its not going to be completely flat but hopefully look cleaner. Everything that I have done on my nova has been alot of work so why stop now.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so Im going to start cutting things out this weekend. (Hopefully I wont be too wasted.) I got some help and Im going to wrap up my fenders in some old quilts and wrapped in duck tape.

Ok I took an old license plate and scribed what I think I need to cut out. Im going to cut out a square for the blower motor. Let me know if this looks ok. Im going to use some sheet metal cutters and shape it with my angle grinder to make my blanks when Im done. Im not sure what to do with the lip over the trans tunnel but I assume I should cut it out and weld in a small piece of steel.

I have a heater box and new heater core to sell now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts