Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ts getting pretty hot on the toes now days and before I attack the job I'd like to ask how large of a pain it is to put one in. Couldn't find anything in the shop manual.

The 307 engine is old and wants to retire to Hawaii for some much needed R & R. Pretty sure that's why it's so hot but the remnants of the original pad are just that, remnants. Should I hire a contortionist to put it in? I'm old and don't bend too easy anymore :}

Thanks

·
14,584 Posts
I have installed 3 of them in my 3rd gens and it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was getting the retaining devices through the firewall and removing and installing the heater box again. I'm not a kid either but I just did the last one last year. I just laid a couple of blankets and a pillow for my head when I was in the car. It also helps if you have the seats out so you can stretch your legs out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hello guys,

I'm actaully doing this now on my '66. The supplied plastic fastners are horrible and I am having a lot of trouble with them.

On this site... http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/pdf/34-39.pdf?

If you scroll down to the 2nd page of the PDF, there is a tool #49-09 that is used to install the fasteners.

I was thinking of making one out of a long, thin bolt and a nut at the same length as the inside of the fastener...

Unless you guys have a better suggestion... I don't see any eaiser way. "Massaging" them with a rubber mallet only crushes them.

Thanks,

DeuceWagon

Jeeze... I just STARTED putting her back together and already the headaches... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I find the original style rubber retainers work better. They are being reproduced. A bolt with nuts on either side of a fender washer will work as a tool. You just need something to push the tip of the retainer through the hole with out putting a hole in the retainer.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
I have installed 3 of them in my 3rd gens and it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was getting the retaining devices through the firewall and removing and installing the heater box again. I'm not a kid either but I just did the last one last year. I just laid a couple of blankets and a pillow for my head when I was in the car. It also helps if you have the seats out so you can stretch your legs out.
That's just cause for a nap.:devil:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I bought the set from C2O, and I noticed the large piece comes with some kind of a cardboard box stapled to it. It looks like it needs to be folded, where does that box go? I didn't see one when I took out the original pad.

Does anyone have a better picture of the install other than the Parts book?

Thanks,

DW

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've seen them on several sites ranging from $2.95 each to $4.95.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
The original style rubber ones are available at Year One as a set of 7. But I would shop around.

Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the set from C2O, and I noticed the large piece comes with some kind of a cardboard box stapled to it. It looks like it needs to be folded, where does that box go? I didn't see one when I took out the original pad.

Does anyone have a better picture of the install other than the Parts book?

Thanks,

DW
The stapled box comes with a screw and covers the windshield wiper transmission

1 - 10 of 10 Posts