Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished painting under carriage and fire wall this week with por 15 chassis black. it said semi gloss but it shows more of a flat look. would it look funny to paint the sub frame and all the suspension parts gloss black or does it look better to match everything under the hood? how does it come from the factory? not looking for factory look but did they use 2 shades of black also? hate to put my 70 all back together and be upset with the finished product. neighbors son is coming over to help me start a progress post of the work done so far. i am to computer dumb to figure it out. thanks for any replies.:confused:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Im Looking foward to seeing your pics .....Im getting ready to do my frame & firewall soon with por 15 curious to see how it looks.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, normally it ends up the other way around, with the frame and suspension parts flat black and the firewall glossy :p You could shoot a coat of gloss over the firewall, couldn't you? Otherwise I think it would look fine flat black all the way around.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since the undercarriage and fire wall are semi flat the frame will also go semi. try to keep it all uniform.so far i have painted everything by brush. looks good. the por15 flows nice and evens out. i might borrow a paint gun to spray the rest of the parts. that will probally use less paint than brushing. and por15 is not cheap. there marine clean works really good. and so does the metal ready. today i got the sub frame factory welds ground down and re welded. and welded up all the seams down the frame wells. marine cleaned the frame then metal ready it. spending fathers day painting the frame and many more parts.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I went the other way. Frame and suspension parts are chassis black with a nice semi gloss. Firewall and heater box are more of a matte finish. Looks good to me. I still havn't decided what to do with my fiberglass inner fenders. Plan to get the motor in first and see how things look.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The factory used many different levels of gloss and semi gloss, generally the inner fenders were touch glossier then the semi gloss firewall, the heater box had the highest level of gloss with the frame being one of the lowest gloss parts under the hood.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
painted the sub frame with por15 and just like the firewall and undercarriage it has a nice gloss to it. so instead of the chassis coat i am going to use the black cote. then put a coat on what i all ready did. i like the gloss look a little more. and i just want everything to match. not going for a period correct look since the car is far from original.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
They actually look pretty good in gloss too!:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts