Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a wrecked in the fron 68 nova. the fire wall got pushed back 3/4 of an inch and shrunk the door opening on the left side that much also. I have found a nice 69 donor car front sub and firewall intact, the guy that I am buying it from is telling me that it would be easier for me to just cut the fire wall off and install a straight one. here is his process....
cut the pillars half way up, and the cut the floorpan somewhere midway between the front and rear subframe to body bolts. then roll the good section of firewall under the car and bolt it into the rear mounts, at this point I should have some overlap to weld to with the weld seam being in the miidle of the body mounts.....
so I guess my question is ,,,,,,, does this sound like a good way to do this? and if anyone ever has ... do you have some pointers? can I just cut the pillar at the bottom where it mounts to the dash?

·
Registered
49 Posts
have any pix? I think I know the car.... didn't see any close up shots of the damage. Clipping the car [a pillar cut is an option] I would prob pull the car and replace parts as required....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
firewall repair

yeah I bought it recently from a guy in goldbar that had it on craigslist I think for 750.. I bought it for 500 and left the 6 banger there.. I would like to fix it cause this one was born 3 weeks later than my SS... plus the wife wants one to drive also!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently acquired a wrecked in the from 68 nova. the fire wall got pushed back 3/4 of an inch and shrunk the door opening on the left side that much also. I have found a nice 69 donor car front sub and firewall intact, the guy that I am buying it from is telling me that it would be easier for me to just cut the fire wall off and install a straight one. here is his process....
cut the pillars half way up, and the cut the floorpan somewhere midway between the front and rear subframe to body bolts. then roll the good section of firewall under the car and bolt it into the rear mounts, at this point I should have some overlap to weld to with the weld seam being in the middle of the body mounts.....
so I guess my question is ,,,,,,, does this sound like a good way to do this? and if anyone ever has ... do you have some pointers? can I just cut the pillar at the bottom where it mounts to the dash?
either way the car should be pulled to get the door opening back into shape. Pillars should be cut 1/2 way up and a boxed sleeve put inside (use sections of the a pillar you cut off) to retian crash worthyness, same for the rockers (need a sleeve) and see if you can use the factory seam at the front of the floor/toe board. I have fixed lots of cars with cowl / door opening damage over the last 33 years, you would be surprised what a good bodyman can do with a frame rack. Pics would really help to give advise.... I am in Anacortes and do make it down south.... could drop by possibly and give you my 2 cents....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts