Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install a fire extinguisher in my 64 SS, looking for ideas as to location, any photos out there? Also, where is best place to get Haylon bottle?

Mike

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
You need to install it in site where it is easy to access. A common location is on the trans hump top or passenger side. As for a halon extinguisher I don't think they are produced anymore so you should get a good multipurpose (ABC) extinguisher. The good news is that they powder is no longer a corrosive as in the old days. I hope this helps!!

:ragtop:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TMack, guess I spelled Halon wrong huh... Anyway, the reason I don't care for powder is it makes a huge mess, was unaware they don't have halon available anymore... My car has original bucket seats with console and just looking to see what looks best for installs if anyone has photos...

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Halon made for a clean, and very efficient fire extinguisher, but of course it's bad for the environment. Got to see a demo 7 or 8 years ago, it was fast, no bs, and didn't miss a spot (commercial kitchen hood system) I was sad to see it go. Cause if you've ever had to clean a kitchen that had its hood system dump a 20 lb bottle...

There's another I've been interested in, that sounds similar to the old halon, it's halotron 1. It's pricey, and I think it's only bc rated... But is clean and quick...

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Another good option is a CO2 extinguisher. They are a bit pricey... figure on $180 or so for a 5 lb. one. The up sides are:
ABC rated - good for any fires except type D (chemical fires)
Most extinguishers can be refilled at any safety supply outlet
Absolutely no residue
Non-poisonous, no negative environmental impact

No matter which extinguisher you choose, it's better than not having one. All my vehicles have extinguishers. I've never had to use one on my own vehicle, but I've put out fires in three strangers' cars/trucks over the years. Just be sure that you read the instructions that come with your extinguisher and understand its capabilities and limitations before you 'pull the pin'! :yes:

Here's the installation in my Nova... (I've since replaced the one in the photo with another that has a smaller canister):

·
Registered
873 Posts
Halon is still in use. (military) But it is not generally used in civilian settings much anymore. It was replaced by FM200. You could consider a CO2 extinguisher too. With a small area they are pretty effective. About 13 years ago I worked at a fire protection company while waiting for another job to open up. Got to see some awesome systems.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Another good option is a CO2 extinguisher. They are a bit pricey... figure on $180 or so for a 5 lb. one. The up sides are:
ABC rated - good for any fires except type D (chemical fires)]
Class A ordinary combustibles
Class B flammable liquids
Class C energized electrical class C usually become class A when I energized
Class D flammable metals (magnesium, titanium, ect)

I still do come across old VW and cars with magnesium parts and you will not put out a metal fire once it's going with the wrong extinguisher, and the burn hot and pretty.

Look for a good AB and maybe D depending on your car you can strap it down in the trunk and if its an engine fire barely open the hood enough to discharge try to keep from introducing more O2. Cars burn fast.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can still buy Halon 1211 fire extinguishers, we buy them regularly for aircraft, look for C352TS at aircraft supply houses, they are also available in chrome. Just under $200.00 for 5lb. gross weight extinguisher.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts