Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cheapie metal stamped chrome valve covers leak in one area and I'd like to get better ones. I like the old school Offenhauser finned aluminum, but they seem to be hard to find. What are you guys buying in the way of finned aluminum valve covers (good price), I currently use a port for PCV valve and a breather valve and oil fill opening - so three "holes". Thanks for the advice.

Elwood

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
$20.00 M/T's and an $8.00 can of wrinkle black. :yes:

If you look closely you'll notice that my rear oil cap doubles as my PCV port area.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Valve covers

Lugnut - What I want to know is - are these VCs durable like the Offenhauser type that don't flex? The cheap ones I have leak because they flex. Do you have the part # for the VCs and the Air Cleaner? It looks like they can be ordered directly from ASA PERFORMANCE. I guess I could get a two hole set up and use a breather/oil cap (push in thru grommet) as well as hole for PCV valve. I appreciate the help. I like the oval air cleaner.

EP

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Lugnut - What I want to know is - are these VCs durable like the Offenhauser type that don't flex? The cheap ones I have leak because they flex. Do you have the part # for the VCs and the Air Cleaner? It looks like they can be ordered directly from ASA PERFORMANCE. I guess I could get a two hole set up and use a breather/oil cap (push in thru grommet) as well as hole for PCV valve. I appreciate the help. I like the oval air cleaner.

EP
They're not flimsy at all. I'm pretty sure I could drive my Duramax over them and they wouldnt move. Well maybe that's pushing it but I can guarantee they will not flex or bend if you crank down on them. I don't have the matching air filter just a cheap Edelbrock chrome one made by a 6 yr old in Bangladesh probably.

Edit: I don't have the part # off the top of my head but they are 9 fin Cal Customs. Here's a couple pairs of previously enjoyed ones on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-A...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a7b124e52

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vint-Cal-Cu...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a243fa50f

Here's the matching air cleaner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-B-Chevy-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aea16b435&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Valve Covers

Thanks Lug -
Is your air cleaner 8x12 or 8x14? I once had a 10" round on my block and it looked dinky and upgraded to 14" round. I'm concerned the 8x12 may look to small or may minimize breathing. Waddaya think.

Elwood

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Valve Covers

One more thing Lug - Are your valve covers short or tall. My rockers are upgraded to 1.52 but I think the profile is same as stock.

EP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts