Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally found a good set of heads in my price range (under $550). a used set of World Sportsman II's with a fresh valve job to boot. only thing is, the guy said they are for 87 and up intake style. i looked and looked and couldn't find a set of sportsman II's that advertised anything but the normal oldschool intake bolt pattern. is it possible? whats the difference? is it just the center bolts are angled differently? i really REALLY can't afford to buy a new intake if I get the heads. can i use my old intake with slight modification? The price on the heads is perfect and they are the last thing i need to finish my 383 build. any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, -tim

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The only difference is the intake pattern then. I wouldnt worry about it since its an easy modification. My intake is actually cut for both styles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the difference just the two center bolts are angled differently? i just want to make sure the runners will line up the same. thanks!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
HI,

I would check and make sure that they are indeed "sportsman" heads. I dont think I have ever seen a set of real sportsman heads that had the cented bolts at the "special" angle. I have used many Dart and World stock replacment heads that were available in that design. They may have very well made the Sporstmsns this way and either I cant rember them or I have never seen any> Im just getting "too" old. But I would check it.

If you do use them, I prefewr to modify the head to put those bolts to the "standard" angle, as you can use any common SB intake. IOts pretty easy to do just using a thread repair type insert.

Good Luck

Jeff

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
[QUOTE='74hatchback]is the difference just the two center bolts are angled differently? i just want to make sure the runners will line up the same. thanks![/QUOTE]

yes thats what I meant. My intake has the center two holes oblong and machined flat for two different angles. My intake is universal and is easy to copy to any standard intake. When I get home from work I can take a picture and show you how my intake looks. My intake actually came from Edelbrock this way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i emailed the guy asking for the numbers off the heads. supposedly they are sportsman II's with 200cc runners and 64cc chambers, straight plug (basically, exactly what i've been after). hopefully he'll get back to me tonight, and hopefully they are actually sportsmans. thanks for all the input guys. i woulda been [email protected]$%'d off if i got them and they were just world stock replacements.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I don't think those are Sportsman II's. Ask the guy if it says "S/R" inside the valve cover area.
If the valves are 2.02" The heads are S/R Torquers for 87 up Intake bolt pattern.

You can check PN's and specs at World Castings

When buying anything, If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts