Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a year of messing around trying to get this transmission to shift better into third gear, I finally gave up.....
It is coming out tomorrow. I am not sure what I am going to put back in.

I love the simplicity of stick shift and the fun of selecting any gear when needed. I like 70 MPH at 2500 RPM.
I also like stick shift when selecting different cams. It is easier for me not to wory about stall speed, converter flash, etc... Having said that, I may have to go the slip-shift direction. Can't afford a good five speed.

Who makes a good 350 turbo that would hold up to street and strip pounding?
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
the only people i can think of is www.hughesperformance.com they have always been good to me i use their internals in my transmisson. they have good reps that can answer your questions and they will even tell you what to get to help you save some money :yes: :D

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I can put you with the guy who did mine.
And it held up perfect for 2 years now.
I have a core you can have if he needs one.
Arron knows his stuff. And a lot of good people know how to build a TH350

http://www.atiracing.com/products/trans/350/index.htm

Kit includes TH350 Street / Strip Transmission, Streetmaster Converter®, transmission cooler with fan, cooler installation kit, polyurethane trans mount, Trick-Stick™ Locking Dipstick & tube. Available in forward pattern automatic function only.
Part # TH350 - STREET ROD PACKAGE 351800 $1446

Good luck
Al

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
look into a Richmond 5speed. My buddy in arizona has one in his 69 RS/SS camaro and he absolutely loves it!

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
When it comes out

Over a year of messing around trying to get this transmission to shift better into third gear, I finally gave up.....
It is coming out tomorrow. I am not sure what I am going to put back in.

I love the simplicity of stick shift and the fun of selecting any gear when needed. I like 70 MPH at 2500 RPM.
I also like stick shift when selecting different cams. It is easier for me not to wory about stall speed, converter flash, etc... Having said that, I may have to go the slip-shift direction. Can't afford a good five speed.

Who makes a good 350 turbo that would hold up to street and strip pounding?
Thanks
Don
Whats your plans for it?

Id LOVE to have a 5th gear
my M-20 is no good for the highway

Steve

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ever consider the T56? They have the Magnum out now that is supposed to handle 700 ft. lb. of torque if I remember right. Check out D&D Performance, $2800 for the magnum. Can get either fork or hydraulic TO. Also, elec or mech speedo.

Did I mention 70mph at 2000 RPM with 5.13's

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got it out today! Everything looked good as far as the Centerforce stuff goes. The roller pilot bearing was toast. BEWARE of those as mentioned many times on this site before!!!
I went with the roller this time because the bronze sintered bushing spun in the crank the first time around.

Big Al..... Thanks for the link for ATI and the offer of the core. You're a good man. My neighbor has a core I can get but thank you for the offer.....

Does the transmission cooler need a separate fan?
Also what shifter is preferred for a 350 turbo?

Stevemc79
That is a good choice but the budget is out of my league at this time.

Steve340
My neighbor wants it for his T-bucket.

Thanks all
Don

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If you decide to go with a th350 I'm sure there is somebody local that can build you a good trans. Don't need anything trick or high dollar parts. My th350 is nothing trick and all it has is a TCI sprag and good clutches. Other than the reverse manual VB its got mostly stock parts.

My vote on shifters is a B&M pro stick or the hurst quarter stick.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
shame be on you! you just didn't do the right things with that transmission. i had years of great service from mine, and it was the very early one. now it's better than ever, shifts into the next gear at full throttle at ANY rpm and can handle 800+hp.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aron69nova
What are the right things you did?
You should share them with others:)

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts