Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday I entered my Nova in 2 car shows with my buddy in his '70 Chevelle. We were parked next to each other at both shows and nearly everyone walked right past my car to look at his car. Granted his car is painted and mine is under primer, but that was enough for me to finally get off my butt and do something to my car. So I started sanding off the primer to reveal the "orange flame" color I so dearly missed seeing. I'm sanding it by hand and spent the last two nights sanding so I will be laying off of it tonight. The reason it's under primer is because half of the right rear quarter is rusted away, patches of bondo filling in small dents and dings, the paint was starting to fade, so I just shot primer over it thinking it would look better and for the past 4 or 5 years now I've been regretting it. I can't afford right now to have the new quarters and door skins put on so I'm thinking this is next best thing to make my car look half way descent again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah....i hear ya.i had a chevelle at a show once and it was in the primer stage and people walked right past mine to look at a flamed chevy pick-up.paint says alot for a ride.:yes:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok here is a picture of the work in progress on sanding away the primer. The first picture was taken back in 1991 (which is also my avatar) 2 years after I bought it in 1989 and the second picture is how it looked before I started sanding on it this week and the third picture is during the sanding process. More pictures to come later. I have to lay off a day or two, my hands and wrists are really worn out and aching, but I do need to hurry and get it done though because all the residue from the primer and water mixture is all over my bumpers and wheels and glass and it's driving me nuts but no point in cleaning until I'm done, right?. I'm getting really excited about seeing that orange paint again, I didn't realize how badly I missed it until I started uncovering it, she's starting to like her old self again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dude, that flat black looks tuff, I like it. I also like the Keystone Classics on the front.
I hear ya! Man, I'd almost trade my jegs star wheels for some keystones. I'm almost at a loss, I'm not sure I'm seeing all of yall's rides, all different and such, and wonder to myself at times, "do I wanna be all cliche and stuff? Or do I wanna be diff. like those guys?"

Don't see keystones anymore, not around here anyways. My 72 chevelle had em when I bought it, and I put weld prostars on it with a big block. It was nice, but after I got rid of it,.. I look at the pictures I took after I first got the car more than I did when I finished it!

Ohh and walkerjay, that car is scary! I like it :D

Edit again** Also, about the primer and paint... unless it's really different.> I ALWAYS make it a point to check out the ones in progress, especially ones in primer! Unless it's a #%#$ civic or something. lol.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few months ago a buddy of mine was needing to use my truck to haul a load of parts from his dad's place to his place for his '69 Camaro project. While rummaging through the barn for all his parts we uncovered 2 14x7 Keystone Classics. I kept eyeing them because they are my 2nd favorite wheel ever made (Cragars 1st of course), and he must've noticed me looking at them because he ended up letting me have them for the use of my truck. Yeah I gladly accepted. I'm keeping my eyes open for another pair of them so I can put them on an s-10 if I ever get one. If I don't get another pair and/or an s-10 to put them on, then I will be mounting them on my garage wall as art.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, finally I am basically finished with my car. just a little more buffing and that's it. So here are the pictures of it as I promised. As you will probably notice there are still some primer spots left over, those are bad spots in the paint, and bondo filled dents, dings, and rust holes. The roof still has some primer left on it too and it has to stay because this once was a vinyl top car and the orange paint under the primer is too thin, as I tried to sand the primer I went through the orange in a few places so I had to stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts