Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just like hearing what you guys have to say.

Heres the setup:
327 thats .030
New Scat crank
Keith Black pistons
58cc chambered heads with 2.02/1.6
Victor Jr. intake
Edelbrock 750 cfm carb
Kmj ignitions setup

And this cam
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-213-3/

What do you guys think?

Oh yea decided to throw in the th350 with tci streetfighter 3500 stalland b&m shift kit with 3.36 gears

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That is gonna be a nice little small block there. Might need a touch more gear like a 355 but...Damn that thing is gonna sound sweet at around 6500...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Not much gear for that cam and only 331" Is it a daily driver? Is that why only 3.36 gears?
I'd go with something newer than a 20 year old grind, use a Performer RPM and a vac. sec. Holley 750 carb.
With that cam and intake you have a 7000+ rpm combo, but with that gear and carb, it will be a limp rag--you need either more gear and converter, or less cam and manifold...either way I'd lose the Edelbrock carb.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a toy

Im just throwing it together for now till i get my 350 together but its definately not a daily driver. I have a weiand xcelerator i could put on it to give a little more low end and i agree those are just the stock gears and havent got around to changing them. I was thinking the usual 373

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
373 is a lot of gear for a short tire like on a Nova (my opinion, for a street car). I have a 65 with a 235 60 15 drag radial. Motor is a 383 with 570" lift solid cam. I am running 355 gears and a 3000 convertor. The car just hauls butt as soon as you touch the throttle. 355 gears with a 26" tire is like 390 gears with a 28" tire (or around there).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow

thats a cookn ride burty. I have a hoped up 350 but it didn't like it when i left the line at 7200 :no: So a new bottom end it is. I had this 65 327 just sitting around and decided to throw it in. Ive never rode in a car with one. But that also is what i have is a 65 deuce

·
Registered
508 Posts
that is a great cam. sounds real chopey and pulls well in the mid to upper range. (even being a 20 year old grind) actully one of my favorites for a street driven small block. i think you will like it very much. i dont think you will gain any more bottem end with the excellerator intake over the victor. they are both single plane intakes. with a rpm airgap how ever you will get a little more on the bottom and plenty to 6500. but good luck with the build either way you go.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
that cam

if your just making a cruizer , that cam will sound great. If your not going to degree it in , check with comp cams , it usually needs advanced 4 degrees. Comp used to sell a timing chain set for it that it should be pretty close. Still have the machining accuracy of the keyway in the crank to consider. But it should be darn close.

I had one friend that ran it in a 355 11.5, stealth intake , 750 dp carb , 456 gear. He switched to a solid 268 @.050 Erson cam 575 lift , it ran the same time as the 292 cam did.

I'd say that cam in ur 327 will go 7000 no problem , but like others mentioned , i bet its gonna need at least a 411 gear or so and a 4000 stall to really stand up. Isky makes a similar cam on a 108 LSA that might give u more mid range but idle even more rough.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What heads are you using ? I had a friend with a 64 chevelle with a similar build , it was 10.7 compression camel humps bowl ported (2.02-1.60) and a [email protected] .510 lift and 108lsa ... i had a 4000 converter and a 3.73 gear (245-60-15 tire) ....
anyway it was really lazy out of the hole !!!!!! BUT as soon as it hit 5000 rpm or so it came to life and went 7200 rpm easy . it had a vic jr and 750 holley . the car would have probably ran a 12.90 -13.10 .

I would suggest MORE converter ,MORE gear , and a bit less duration ! maybe [email protected] ..... infact isky makes a nice 284mega cam , its [email protected] and .510 lift on a 106lsa .

·
Registered
912 Posts
that is a great cam. sounds real chopey and pulls well in the mid to upper range. (even being a 20 year old grind) actully one of my favorites for a street driven small block. i think you will like it very much. i dont think you will gain any more bottem end with the excellerator intake over the victor. they are both single plane intakes. with a rpm airgap how ever you will get a little more on the bottom and plenty to 6500. but good luck with the build either way you go.
I agree on the air-gap, awesome intake and would fit your combo well.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
not my 1st choice for cams but its a tried and true combo that has worked for years on the street. I have a buddy that has that set up but in a 350 that he's had running for the last 15 years and he loves it.

I also agree that the RPM air gap would be better with a 750 holley but hey run what ya got and have fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This setup will eventually move to my 350. But im definately going to try to find a air gap. Everyone keeps telling me to get one

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but

the isky 292 mega is pretty much the same only on a 108 lsa. What does this mean? And the op range is a tad bit high but as stated it would give me more mid range. Im not sure which one to go with. I love the rough idle sound (as i have a thumpr cam now) love the sound but a sob for performance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the isky 292 mega is pretty much the same only on a 108 lsa. What does this mean? And the op range is a tad bit high but as stated it would give me more mid range. Im not sure which one to go with. I love the rough idle sound (as i have a thumpr cam now) love the sound but a sob for performance.
the difference is a 108 LSA will build a little more cylinder pressure as to the 110. it will have a slightly rougher idle but the comp 292 chops prety hard. trust me. either cam will work good in your combo. if you ever plan on putting a little spray to the motor it will prob. react beter to the 110 LSA. as it will aid in bleeding off a little more cylinder pres. and take a little more stress off the bottom end and head gaskets. but for what your going for its either or. im sure we can get 4 pages of who makes a better cam but its all in preference kinda like chevy/ford. you will be happy with either. IMO.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i think i'd

still call alot of cam companies and see what they say. They seem to stay on the conservitive side i think. I've called them and asked about a cam , next day call them back , i'd get 2 different recomendations. These guys must spend alot of time on the phone and i'm sure are like any of us, i'd say they get tired , have bad days ,what have you. So i'd call as many of them as i could before i bought anything. Make sure they understand if you want something that sounds good and if your willing to sacrifice some idle quality for performance. I'd say they have insurance and liability isssues like most companies do.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
back in the late 80's i ran the 292H cam and loved it. but if you have PB you may be fighting with them.. i ran a 355 with 10.5-1 comp and 64cc fuelie heads all tricked out. was a very nice combo but i also ran 4.56 gears with a TH350 and 3500 converter.

for about the same money have you looked at edelbrocks RPM cam? part # EDL-7102, its 488intake and 510exhaust, sounds about the same as the 292 cam but the RPM cam has better street manners and will run PB, or at least it did on mine...if you are interested in the RPM cam i have one set back i would make you a great deal on..(we did a bulk buy on them 2 yrs back)... just PM me...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isky users

Ok new plan. Anybody run a 292 mega cam? Like it? Don't? Hows it sound at an idle? Heres a big one does it still perform? Thinking about using it in a chevy small block now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts