Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-After a last minute decision we loaded up my car and went to Sacramento raceway on wed. Sac is not known for the best track prep on wed's but I had a great time and finally got to beat on my car. I made 8 passes and lost in the semis by 1000th of a second. I took the car the way I have been cruising it with no tuning at the track and union 76 91 octane super. Car ran a best of.....
1.85 60ft with a 12.63 at 110.970

There is alot more et in the car by reading the mph and def need to get the 60fts down. I am running moroso trick springs with calvert shocks and almost 6" of travel along with the full calvert rear set up. I could not get the car to stick at all, it seemed as the front would come up nice then the car would spin the tires. It was 105 degrees outside and a track temp of 122 so I am not sure what to blame the bad traction on. I am running a worn out set of bfg drag radials (275/60/15) but I had a great time and as soon as I heal from my back surgery I had on Thursday I will be back out with a set of new m/t drag radials and hopefully be able to do some tuning and get it running the way it should. Any suggestions from the suspension guru's is appreciated!!:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
hot track surface with no prep+ too many street radial tires on it+your worn out BFG's=BAD 60FTS!!!!

yea bro never go on a wed unless you want a trophy. I know john(camgrinder) would go every wed but even he knew the track conditions would be less than optimum. Must not have been that crowded to get 8 passes in. Good job though!!! hope your surgery goes well!

When you get healed up get some new tires and take her back on a TNT and dial that suspension in. Do you have adjustable shocks in the front and back?

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hot track surface with no prep+ too many street radial tires on it+your worn out BFG's=BAD 60FTS!!!!

yea bro never go on a wed unless you want a trophy. I know john(camgrinder) would go every wed but even he knew the track conditions would be less than optimum. Must not have been that crowded to get 8 passes in. Good job though!!! hope your surgery goes well!

When you get healed up get some new tires and take her back on a TNT and dial that suspension in. Do you have adjustable shocks in the front and back?
Surgery went well, know I just got to do some healing!:bored: I knew wed would suck but I had to get my fix since I can't drive for 4 weeks! It was real quiet I probably could have made 2 or 3 more passes. I have calverts 90/10 in the front and the 9 way adjustable ranchos in the rear. My next trip to the track will be a friday or saturday test and tune, maybe I could talk you into coming out??

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. You should have told me you were going, I would have brought out some tires for you.
Density altitude had to be 2500 or higher. Wait until October and you will be in the 114 mph or so range.

When I ran on Wed nites, I went 11.7's at 115 on the 26x8.5 Hoosiers dot tires. 1.620 60 foot times. It was hit or miss on the traction, I have had it hook great or had it so bad I loaded up and went home after on pass.
I set my caltracs with zero preload on the left and 1 full turn on the right. Front calvert shocks (non adjustable) Rancho rears at #4. Flashed from 1800 rpm.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you had fun. You should have told me you were going, I would have brought out some tires for you.
Density altitude had to be 2500 or higher. Wait until October and you will be in the 114 mph or so range.

When I ran on Wed nites, I went 11.7's at 115 on the 26x8.5 Hoosiers dot tires. 1.620 60 foot times. It was hit or miss on the traction, I have had it hook great or had it so bad I loaded up and went home after on pass.
I set my caltracs with zero preload on the left and 1 full turn on the right. Front calvert shocks (non adjustable) Rancho rears at #4. Flashed from 1800 rpm.
It was total last minute or I would have called ya! I got to tell ya I could not be happier with the camshaft you did!:yes: Not to bad for a mild motor with .520 lift!!! You da man!!!!:notworthy::D

·
Registered
508 Posts
whoa whoa whoa.... you got to crawl before you walk now!!:rotfl: j/k. i think the 150 needs to go on juuuuust incase!!:devil: i think the car has alot more potential we just need to squeeze it out. good job for the first time up and untuned. and you had fun and that is what matters.:yes:

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
-

".................... it seemed as the front would come up nice then the car would spin the tires................"

When I was in that e.t. range I ran into some of the same issues.........Don't let the front come up too fast and easy. It sounds to me that you are extending the shock all the way without enough grunt to yank the wheels so you are then suddenly unloading the rear tires about 7-10 feet off the starting line. Slow down the rise with the shock so that it does not abruptly extend the shock all the way. You will be surprised in the difference this will make.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was in that e.t. range I ran into some of the same issues.........Don't let the front come up too fast and easy. It sounds to me that you are extending the shock all the way without enough grunt to yank the wheels so you are then suddenly unloading the rear tires about 7-10 feet off the starting line. Slow down the rise with the shock so that it does not abruptly extend the shock all the way. You will be surprised in the difference this will make.
I here what you are saying Chuck but my shocks are non adjustable, is there another way to slow it down? I stiffend up my rear shocks thinking this would help from hitting the rear tires to hard.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whoa whoa whoa.... you got to crawl before you walk now!!:rotfl: j/k. i think the 150 needs to go on juuuuust incase!!:devil: i think the car has alot more potential we just need to squeeze it out. good job for the first time up and untuned. and you had fun and that is what matters.:yes:
I would like to thank you for your help Josh and next time I know I will get it working better!!The 150 shot has to go on there to see what it will do, I will just let them send me home if so!!:devil:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
whats your drivetrain combination
355 with a 6" rod and flat top pistons
edelbrock rpm heads 64cc aprox. 10.5 to 1 compression
team g intake with a quick fuel 750 dp full msd ignition with 6 al box
solid flat tappet cam with .520 lift (Camgrinder special)
1 5/8" hooker comp headers with 2 1/2" full exhaust through super 40 flow's
manual valve body th350 with a redneck 4000 stall
9" rear with 3.82 gears cal tracs full rear set up with rancho 9 way adjustables
moroso trick springs in front with tubular upper a arms and calvert 90/10 shocks

·
Registered
508 Posts
i was going to sugest maybe adding a limiting strap to the front to keep it from over extending. thats the cheapest way to fix it if it is coming up that far. thats what we did on Duanes (Spanked63) vega. and his car carries the wheels prety darn hard.:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was going to sugest maybe adding a limiting strap to the front to keep it from over extending. thats the cheapest way to fix it if it is coming up that far. thats what we did on Duanes (Spanked63) vega. and his car carries the wheels prety darn hard.:yes:
May need to try that, I will get the new set on mickeys on there and go back on a day when the track is cooler and in better shape before I start to make any major adjustments!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
another thing you could do is add the limiting bolts like what the super stock guys do. Drill the upper control arm and add some 1/2" or 9/16" threaded rod and some stop bolts so its adjustable.

P.S. how ya feelin man?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts