Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasnt really sure what gears I had in the rear end, but, just by turning the tire and counting the drive shaft revolutions I was guessing it was a 5.38. When we got the gears out and counted the teeth it turns out I had 5.57's!:eek: I took the car out for a test drive after we installed the 4.10's and it felt weird, like I was starting out in third gear!:D Now when I stab the throttle, instead of burning the tires I'm planting the horespower without all that wheel speed! This is gonna take some getting used to and I can drive on the freeway now without turning 4 grand at 60mph!:yes: Woohoo!:D

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
5.57s had to be a ball with the big block. 4.10s will more than suffice, and once you are used to them it will be a lot more enjoyable.

Tiny

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5.57s had to be a ball with the big block. 4.10s will more than suffice, and once you are used to them it will be a lot more enjoyable.

Tiny
Tell you what Tiny, your right, they were real zippy around town!:D

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Glad to see you got it finished. What time did you get out of there?
So when and where are ya going to take a cruise to check them out? Some of us might join you.
I will be glad when I get mine installed.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
So when and where are ya going to take a cruise to check them out? Some of us might join you.
time to do some cruising Al . :yes: you will be a lot happier with the car .
I'll let you guys know how it cruises this week. :devil:

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt get out till around 6pm. Vince has the car this week to build the air pan and hopefully we can cut down on some of the engine heat and evacuate that heat under the hood.

I'll let you guys know how it cruises this week. :devil:
Leave yourself plenty of room! it doesnt go thru the gears quite as fast as before!:no::D

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Leave yourself plenty of room! it doesnt go thru the gears quite as fast as before!:no::D
No worries...I don't have the time to drive my own vehicles.

How attached are you to the air cleaner? The opening for the air bell is about .25" wider than the width of the air cleaner element. I might be able to fabricate a ridge on both sides to seal the element.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wasnt really sure what gears I had in the rear end, but, just by turning the tire and counting the drive shaft revolutions I was guessing it was a 5.38. When we got the gears out and counted the teeth it turns out I had 5.57's!:eek: I took the car out for a test drive after we installed the 4.10's and it felt weird, like I was starting out in third gear!:D Now when I stab the throttle, instead of burning the tires I'm planting the horespower without all that wheel speed! This is gonna take some getting used to and I can drive on the freeway now without turning 4 grand at 60mph!:yes: Woohoo!:D
Al, with that color on your hood all you need are some ghost flames....

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Wow Al, you could have joined my "4.88 club". That's for anything with 4.88's or lower and man were you ever lower!! And I agree, low gears around town are a blast!!

·
Banned
214 Posts
gears

i just went from a 355 to a 456 wow what a difference it runs so much harder out of the hole. ive never driven with a 5.00 plus gear it must pull like a mo fo

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Nice work Vince!

Al, the way the hood looks with the heat pan and all sure adds to the look of your car - very nice.

I saw it in person last night - It looks great!

Adrianne and Joe (eieio) were with me last night when I saw the car. When they first saw it, they were both thinking 'that car sure looks a lot like Al's car,' then realized it was Al's car.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Al, with that color on your hood all you need are some ghost flames....
I dont know where that color came from in the photo Charlie!:confused: But yeah, if it were that color your right, it would look good with ghost flames!:yes:

Is that your shop?

John
John, that was my friend Keith's shop.

Wow Al, you could have joined my "4.88 club". That's for anything with 4.88's or lower and man were you ever lower!! And I agree, low gears around town are a blast!!
Thats one tough club Joe!:eek::yes: I'm excited to start seeing the different possibilities with the new gears! I'd be pulling third gear at the same distance that I'm now shifting from first to second!:eek::D

i just went from a 355 to a 456 wow what a difference it runs so much harder out of the hole. ive never driven with a 5.00 plus gear it must pull like a mo fo
Yeah, it's like adding a bunch of horse power but the top end is there before you know it!:yes:

Here's the mock up of your air pan (not sure if you're checking the site in the evenings/mornings while on vacation).

No, I wasnt able to get on line while at the river. Boy, that looks awesome Vince! Cant wait to see it! Maybe I can come over tomorrow (Saturday) and pick it up if your going to be around.

Nice work Vince!

Al, the way the hood looks with the heat pan and all sure adds to the look of your car - very nice.
Thanks Chuck!

I saw it in person last night - It looks great!
Vince does incredible work! His fabricating skills are awesome!:yes:

Adrianne and Joe (eieio) were with me last night when I saw the car. When they first saw it, they were both thinking 'that car sure looks a lot like Al's car,' then realized it was Al's car.
Thats funny!:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
No, I wasnt able to get on line while at the river. Boy, that looks awesome Vince! Cant wait to see it! Maybe I can come over tomorrow (Saturday) and pick it up if your going to be around.
Yep, should be around...I'm going to drop off some carburetor parts at Wade's first thing in the morning for a soak in some solvent, but should be home from 11 am on. I did a couple of before and after test drives and things work pretty well - the car has much better manners with the new gearing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts