Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently fixed my timing cover/oil pan leak and invested in a timing light and vacuum gauge so i could get my car dialed in perfectly. I also have a wideband o2 sensor gauge so i can read my air/fuel ratio.

Background on the motor and drivetrain:

- 73' 350 block bored .030 over
- dished pistons
- dart s/s iron eagle heads (165cc with 72cc chambers)
- eddy rpm air gap intake
- cam: lunati voodoo .468/.489 lift
- 1.5 ratio roller rockers
- 9:1 compression
- eddy 650 avs carb
- pertronix ignitor II
- mech. water pump, power steering, and fan with clutch
- aluminum 4 core radiator
- tri-y headers, 2.5" pipes, magnaflow muffs
- fresh rebuilt muncie m20 4 speed
- stock 10 bolt rear with 3.08's and non posi

Tuning specs:

- I have timing set at 14 initial and 36 total not sure what rpm it's all in at as my timing light doesn't show rpm.

I've played around advancing and retarding the initial timing and it seems to like where it is right now. No issues starting hot or cold.. idle is smooth and no bogs or hesitations.

air/fuel ratio:

idle: 13.5:1
cruise: 14:1
power: 13:1
WOT: 12:1

Eddy carb adjustments:

- silver step-up springs
- 70x47 metering rods (2 stages lean on cruise)
- accelerator pump arm in bottom hole
- 15" of vacuum at idle
- idle speed set at 750 rpm

All in all I am VERY happy with my car right now. I've put about 150 miles on it since the new pan gasket/timing cover and gasket and there are no leaks!
I switched to an aluminum timing cover instead of the stamped steel and will never go back. It's definitely worth the extra money IMO. The car pulls strong and runs like a top. Water temp stays between 180 and 195 even sitting in traffic on a hot day.

I've spent countless hours on this site learning as i go and i'm very proud of the work i've done on my car. Thanks to everybody here for providing good information and helping me dial in my car.

Now with some lower rear gears and more compression it will REALLY be fun!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds good, a little rich WOT, but it looks like you got it all dailed in! I really want a wideband but right now i gotta buy other things to get my nova running right, so that'll have to wait.

Great job!

Chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
It sure is nice when things finally come together.

Which wideband did you go with ? I'm looking at getting one soon. Any suggestions or ones to stay away from ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sure is nice when things finally come together.

Which wideband did you go with ? I'm looking at getting one soon. Any suggestions or ones to stay away from ?

I went with one from Innovate Motorsports. It was easy to hook up and works great. I've heard good things about AEM also. The tech support through innovate is solid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts