Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some pics of the initial motor assembly and detail from this weekend. I hope to crank it in the break-in stand and run the cam in sometime in the next couple of weeks. I will get more pics up when I get the front accessories on next week. Its a 66 283 Chevy II block (194 Casting) .030 over with 041 Heads, 1.5 Roller Rockers and a Comp XE268H cam. The carb is a 570CFM Holley Street Avenger. Now, Experts, is my Large Hei going to clear the firewall?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
HEI will clear. I had one in my 64 with no problems.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Looks great funny i just redid mine aswell love the air cleaner and the whole monocromatic paint sheme:thumbsup: congrats!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments fellas! I have alot of hours in the valve covers making the trim piece and tapping the holes that hold them in place and getting the emblem on the aircleaner securely attached was a lil tedious also!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the pic.. I have been sweating whether it would fit or not. My underhood is already painted and I don't really want to modify the firewall. I have the MSD Street Fire HEI is that what you have in there? It looks like it.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
SMOKIN!! That may be the best looking SBC I have ever seen. Congrats, that will look awesome between any pair of fenders!

Tiny

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much Tiny. A compliment from peers is better than any award!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I appreciate the pic.. I have been sweating whether it would fit or not. My underhood is already painted and I don't really want to modify the firewall. I have the MSD Street Fire HEI is that what you have in there? It looks like it.
i think its made by a company called Pro Comp

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Looks good ! Hope it runs as good as it looks :cool:. I have had a couple of 283's and always liked the way they ran. Good engines :cool: :cool:.

Tommy :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To answer the question I missed .... The trim is drilled and tapped on the backside (8-32 and it takes a bottom tap since the material is only .25") once tight I painted over the heads with some gasket sealer LIGHTLY. If you take the time to get the holes really accurate, barely big enough for the screws and that means the alignment has to be SPOT ON, the heads of the screws hit good and flat and they probably wouldn't leak without the sealer. I also smooth the area around each hole on the inside of the valve cover and slightly chamfer each hole so the screws seat properly. Like I said they are very tedious to do but I wanted something different. I have about 25 hours in painting and detailing the motor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts