Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been contemplating it for a long time, Now, I'm committed to doing an LS swap into my '69. I found an LS2 out a 2006 GTO. It will pair well with the T-56 transmission (out of another '06 GTO) that I've been waiting to put in. Now the first stage of the fun begins: learning what it's going to take to make it all work. I have lots of ideas and plenty of stuff to buy, but I need to know what fits and what works; I'd prefer to avoid spending money twice to make it work once.

I'll be posting questions and pictures of my progress as it goes along. Wish me luck...

Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
Hi Gerry . . . . . . I'm all - in . . . . . . and will be following , for sure .

later , jim

Registered
and , let me post up your 1st picture . . . . . . .

plus , we really 'enjoyed th' visit ' . . . . . . (y) .

. . . . jim & Diana

Jan 2 , 2021
. . . . . . Chino Valley
138309869_3761308057294765_3065103474445420173_n.jpg

Registered
Those LS swaps are great. Just be sure to leave the hood down at the shows. Takes a lot of $ to knock the ugly off those motors.:devilish:

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Ht
Those LS swaps are great. Just be sure to leave the hood down at the shows. Takes a lot of $ to knock the ugly off those motors.:devilish:
It's not a show car anyway , so I don't care much about what people think.

and , let me post up your 1st picture . . . . . . .

plus , we really 'enjoyed th' visit ' . . . . . . (y) .

. . . . jim & Diana

View attachment 413917
Thanks, Jim , it was great to see you and Diana too.

Registered
That's funny. I used to think they were the ugliest thing in a classic car. I've since changed my mind especially when I think about how easy and dependable they are. I still love a sbc or BBC under the hood though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
That's funny. I used to think they were the ugliest thing in a classic car. I've since changed my mind especially when I think about how easy and dependable they are. I still love a sbc or BBC under the hood though.
Most of the time I spend talking about my car at car shows is answering questions about how I did this or that. So, some day I'll be talking about the LS swap. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
A few of the differences: way better cylinder head design, improved block design, they don't leak oil, unbelievable longevity and durability. People who have them and know more than I do can add to the list, it's long.

Registered
What's the biggest dif ? That it's a roller ?
I am sure that the things that made me lean to an LS over a standard SBC can be added to an SBC like the fuel injection system and tuning capabilities but I was looking for a platform that had it all, has been scrubbed of all ghosts in the system and would be bullet proof (or engine idiot proof in my case o_O)
I like that you turn the key it cranks & starts every single dang time
Not having to "tune the carb anymore" - some may love that, i am horrible at it
Self learning system based on Oxygen/ Fuel / Spark situations on a constant basis
Aluminum block so shaved off a few pounds
The power curve on these engines is a straight line
As stated by xten above, they don't leak
What's a tune up?
Probably the best thing about my doing this swap was meeting Tom M from this site.
When all said and done, the cost delta between the LS3/6.2L @ 480HP was marginal in comparison to a 383 when adding in a Fitech / Holley Fuel delivery system so figured for a few extra coin i was going to go with a system that gives me everything I want, maybe even a little extra, which has been designed / developed and proven over time.

Yes it is an ugly engine but there are ways to clean it up for not too much, however will never look cool like a blinged out SBC or BBC

Added billet covers over the coil packs and built some covers to hide everything

Registered
Definitely following this thread I have small block now and may go LS one day if I can get pass the ugly

Registered
If you haven鈥檛 found him yet then look him up now. Richard Holdner Utube channel. He dyno鈥檚 all kinds of engine combinations. Lots of LS stuff to check out.. Cams, heads, intakes, turbos...

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I am sure that the things that made me lean to an LS over a standard SBC can be added to an SBC like the fuel injection system and tuning capabilities but I was looking for a platform that had it all, has been scrubbed of all ghosts in the system and would be bullet proof (or engine idiot proof in my case o_O)

When all said and done, the cost delta between the LS3/6.2L @ 480HP was marginal in comparison to a 383 when adding in a Fitech / Holley Fuel delivery system so figured for a few extra coin i was going to go with a system that gives me everything I want, maybe even a little extra, which has been designed / developed and proven over time.

Yes it is an ugly engine but there are ways to clean it up for not too much, however will never look cool like a blinged out SBC or BBC

View attachment 413937

Added billet covers over the coil packs and built some covers to hide everything

View attachment 413938
View attachment 413939
Hopy, that's a very clean looking setup. I hope mine looks half as good when I'm done with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
If you haven鈥檛 found him yet then look him up now. Richard Holdner Utube channel. He dyno鈥檚 all kinds of engine combinations. Lots of LS stuff to check out.. Cams, heads, intakes, turbos...
Nova Thug, I've seen several of his videos, they're pretty informative. Thanks for the heads up.

Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
Hopy, that's a very clean looking setup.
X2!
I may be the odd ball... but I think the LS swap (without the truck intake) into an older car looks pretty cool!

Registered
Beauty is only skin deep.. All the stuff you have to do to a sbc to get modest power in the 350-400hp range makes the LS look really good. Then you have to hope you don鈥檛 flatten out a cam.. A cam swap in an any LS Vortec engine will get you to the 400hp range with a whole lot more left on the plate if you鈥檙e really power hungry..

Registered

Hi Joe (and Have a Happy NEW YEAR - 2021) . . . . plus - - - you are correct .

I like to watch those "Richard Holdner u-tube shows" , also . . . . kinda "a wild & crazy guy" . . .

later , jim

Reactions: Nova Thug

Registered
Thanks Jim..! And a Happy New Year to you sir..
Hi Joe (and Have a Happy NEW YEAR - 2021) . . . . plus - - - you are correct .

I like to watch those "Richard Holdner u-tube shows" , also . . . . kinda "a wild & crazy guy" . . .

later , jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts