Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 73 SS finally made it back into the shop:yes: Hopefully it will now be completed:rolleyes: I bought this car two years ago and I've been trying to complete it since:( unfortunately other projects have put this on the back burner:eek: Like my wifes MGB, and my sons Grand Am, and my sons Honda Civic:eek: Those projects are done, so now its my turn:yes: I'm locking the shop door until this project is finished. Here is whats been done. Engine rebuilt last year, Car has been disassembled, left quarter replaced, patch panel on right quarter replaced, Car was stripped to bare metal. Since then, 90% of the body work has been done and primed with high build primer, and a sub frame has been prepped and painted. So here is my schedule for the next couple of months.
Week #1
Remove the drive train and sub frame. prep and paint the firewall and under side of the car.
Week's #2 & 3
Complete the body work, final prime and paint
Week #4
Install Drivtrain
Week's # 5 & 6
Re-install interior and trim.
Week #7
Figure what I screwed up and fix:(
Week # 8
Back on the road:yes:
Please pray for me:rolleyes:
Here are some pics

This is the color I'm planning on painting the car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well you definitely have a plan :)

I LOVE that color combo and was actually just thinking yesteday how great that would look since I am trying to figure out what to do with mine.

Good luck and keep us updated as you progress

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Holy smokes, someone's going to be busy! I hope it all goes well for you and the the hiccups are small if any.:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I'm on a mission:yes: Here's pics of day one of week one. Started at 5:00 pm ended at 9:00 pm. Removed engine and tranny, and started stripping out the firewall components. Found a bunch of ugly's with the sub frame, which I knew about:yes: That's why It's being replaced:D Tomorrow the sub frame will be removed and the stripping of the firewall will begin. Saturday or Sunday I will be painting the firewall and underside of the car:yes:

New Used subframe

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been awhile since I updated. Now into the third week, I got slowed down a bit, but the project is progressing:yes: The firewall was prepped and painted on schedule. Sub frame was installed on the 20th of March, today I ordered my bushing kit, seal kit should be here this week. Carpet, gas tank, dynamat, wind shield will be ordered this week. Hopefully I'll finish the body work by the end of this weekend and paint shortly after that:yes: A little behind schedule:eek: but still do able for my deadline:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't your garage floor used to have a checkerboard pattern to it?

:D:D
It did. two years of working on the cars took care of that:( No worries though, when all of my projects are done I'm sure one of my boy's will fix the floor:yes: They will have to do that for me because I'll be pushing up daisies:eek:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks very good.Your doing the same thing I am right now.Hoping to get firewall sprayed this week.Then reinstall the subframe this weekend.

Looking good keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Looks like things are progressing quite nicely! Good color choice as well.

Jason

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Slowed down? Looks like you're working at a pretty good pace.

Love the color. :yes: What's the name of it and is it currently a production color?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little update, It's week five, and I fell a week behind:eek: I had a few issues with parts and some ugly's I didn't expect. I wound up fabricating part of the trunk pan that was rusted and some of my bushing kit was missing parts which slowed me down a bit. but all is well now. I may have to change my order of progress a bit, but like most projects, that happens:turn: I still hope to have the car done in May. The 10th will probably be a stretch, but soon after that is still my goal:yes: I'll post pics As I progress.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looking good. I'd love to have a garage like that! I wouldn't worry too much about staying on schedule. It's a good goal, but make sure you take the time to enjoy the build, because once it's done, you wont have anything to tinker with. :) How are you going about the paint process? Looks like you've gotten some pretty good results so far.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my deadline came and passed:yes: it's now September and the car still isn't done:mad: I thought that I was going to have a slow summer with my business, but as it turns out I had my best summer in ten years. That's a good thing bad thing. Good thing being it's great to have work and $ bad thing not much Nova time. So here is a little update. Front suspension is all new and installed, Body work is 99% complete, painted the hood and trunk lid yesterday, hope to have the rest of the car painted in a week or two. I have all the parts to reassemble the car, so now it's a time issue:yes: So here are a few pics. I will add that the stripes were a pain in the butt, and as far as the paint is concerned, I have a few BUGS to work out (landed in the paint) of the paint that is:yes: So I'm not totally satisfied with the hood and deck lid:no: but the overall job I'm happy with.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
So why are you an electrician?:confused:

Nice work, it looks way nicer now then when you first got it!:yes:

Great color choice!

·
Registered
421 Posts
my dead lines came and went also. same boat no one calls for any type of welding, then the phone rings and it is 14 hour days 6-7 days a week. my 70 wants some action.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts