Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small town with limited talent when it comes to car painting. You all know the story "I will have it done in a couple of months" Yeah right!!!!
Well I finally found a guy who only lives about 5 minutes from my house. He worked at a restoration place here in Rolla called Autos of Yesteryear and they went out of business after about 40 years when the owner died because the son never paid attention when his dad was alive, Paul Harvey had his car in thier display.
Well anyway this guy works at his house now and makes his living doing cars like mine instead of insurance wrecks. Iam so Stoked!!! He works 24/7 and enjoys it! I guess most of the really old cars 1930's 40's that he used to restore were painted with laquer and he won awards for his work.
Iam thinking of doing my car in laquer just so it looks like it did when it left Chevrolet. I have heard all the pros and cons but I think it would stand out more since you dont see laquer much anymore. My car is only going to see sunlight when the kids are not busy so this means about 3 times a year:rolleyes:.
Anyway now I have to go get my 66 from the other dude. I think he will be happy that it is gone, I know I will!!!!!!!
I actually feel like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders. It was getting to the point that I was considering just parting out the car because I did not want to put up with anymore flaky body men.
LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok 24/7 may be a bit much:rolleyes:. But compared to the other guy it seems like it.
Here are some pics I took of it today. This car has the original sheetmetal except I had him put on nos fenders which did not fit that good. The guy had not touched it since 2007. I am not done with the engine yet and have some more stainless to do so I did not need the car yet but I could not stand it anymore. I had the damn thing completely stripped and he was just letting some of the metal sit with no sealer were he stopped working on it. If I was not restoring every piece then I would have taken it somewhere else sooner. It has been 4 years! He painted the underneath and the engine compartment but the engine compartment is going to have to be redone after being used as a tool bench.
The guy who is going to finish it was completely amazed how nice the sheetmetal was. The last pic is before it was painted. It looks like a Cali or AZ car but actually started life in Kansas City with about 2 inches of undercoating. And yes it was a little old lady that owned it.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg you knkow what city cars look like after years of salt, can you believe this car came out of KCK. The undercoating was the nastiest thing I have ever cleaned. Have you been over to Rays and looked at his wagon lately?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Greg you knkow what city cars look like after years of salt, can you believe this car came out of KCK. The undercoating was the nastiest thing I have ever cleaned. Have you been over to Rays and looked at his wagon lately?
He's been going back and forth with his paint/body guy, so he hadn't gotten it in for paint last I heard. That thing is gonna be darn near perfect. But I know we're not supposed to discuss the *secret! project!*:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Shhhhhh it is so secret that he has pic of it on his Ebay store. The body shop down the street has it now. It is going to be nice. I think they have gotten busy since he took it there. It is becoming a sore subject kinda like mine was and hopefully will never be again unless you talk to my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are some hard workers! Not sure about the furry one, as long as I pay him in flip flops for chewing then I see progress. The 7 year old is going to call me in for child labor laws if I dont play hide and seek more:eek:.

seriously though the place I took my car is busy working on my 66. It is so nice to have someone who works! Iam sure the fact that I pay by the hour helps keep him motivated:yes:. The guy calls me all the time and wants me to stop by and see the progress. He is painting parts today and I picked some up this morning. Iam going back with the original color of Sandalwood Tan. Not a very camera friendly color but here is a pic of the headliner plastic. Trim parts make some nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
These are some hard workers! Not sure about the furry one, as long as I pay him in flip flops for chewing then I see progress. The 7 year old is going to call me in for child labor laws if I dont play hide and seek more:eek:.

seriously though the place I took my car is busy working on my 66. It is so nice to have someone who works! Iam sure the fact that I pay by the hour helps keep him motivated:yes:. The guy calls me all the time and wants me to stop by and see the progress. He is painting parts today and I picked some up this morning. Iam going back with the original color of Sandalwood Tan. Not a very camera friendly color but here is a pic of the headliner plastic. Trim parts make some nice stuff.
Motivation, other than $? I wish I could find that!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm glad you found a guy who actually cares and takes pride in his work. Here in Philly, panel beaters and REAL bodymen seem to be a thing of the past. Hell, none of these kids have touched a lead seam in their life. Collision work and glue-on-panels is where it's at. It's a travesty.

I live in a small town with limited talent when it comes to car painting. You all know the story "I will have it done in a couple of months" Yeah right!!!!
Well I finally found a guy who only lives about 5 minutes from my house. He worked at a restoration place here in Rolla called Autos of Yesteryear and they went out of business after about 40 years when the owner died because the son never paid attention when his dad was alive, Paul Harvey had his car in thier display.
Well anyway this guy works at his house now and makes his living doing cars like mine instead of insurance wrecks. Iam so Stoked!!! He works 24/7 and enjoys it! I guess most of the really old cars 1930's 40's that he used to restore were painted with laquer and he won awards for his work.
Iam thinking of doing my car in laquer just so it looks like it did when it left Chevrolet. I have heard all the pros and cons but I think it would stand out more since you dont see laquer much anymore. My car is only going to see sunlight when the kids are not busy so this means about 3 times a year:rolleyes:.
Anyway now I have to go get my 66 from the other dude. I think he will be happy that it is gone, I know I will!!!!!!!
I actually feel like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders. It was getting to the point that I was considering just parting out the car because I did not want to put up with anymore flaky body men.
LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm glad you found a guy who actually cares and takes pride in his work. Here in Philly, panel beaters and REAL bodymen seem to be a thing of the past. Hell, none of these kids have touched a lead seam in their life. Collision work and glue-on-panels is where it's at. It's a travesty.

No different here in Long Island... I even had a guy tell me 'This is not enough work for me to tie-up a corner in my shop'... and he owns a restoration shop. :eek:

He then proceeded to tell me that he has guys with 40K and 50K into Camaros, Chargers, etc.. and a Station Wagon was not worth his time.

Nice eh? Yeah, I can understand, time is money, but com'on already.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More progress. I left the stainless rings on because they distort when trying to remove them so he taped them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wow, that looks great. You didn't have any cracks to fix? Did he sand and prime it?

Are you going with gold for interior?

Nice job.

DW

·
Registered
482 Posts
I thought painting Laquer is illegal. well at least it is here in cali. its really expensive too if you are lucky enough to find it. but I havent looked in 15 yrs at least.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow, that looks great. You didn't have any cracks to fix? Did he sand and prime it?

Are you going with gold for interior?

Nice job.

DW
I fixed the cracks with good old JB Weld, seemed to work well. I had it sanded and he primed it. He was impressed with my crack repair:D. The color is Sandalwood Tan, it is one of those colors that looks different in every picture. He used urethane on the wheel for durability.
I thought painting Laquer is illegal. well at least it is here in cali. its really expensive too if you are lucky enough to find it. but I havent looked in 15 yrs at least.
The original laquer is illegal. The laquer they sell now is only made in limited quanties due to regulations according to Mike and the manufacturer of this paint he uses. Around $300 a gallon. Materials will cost a few $.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Man the color and everything looks awesome. As for finding great body men and painters, join the club. It is like that no matter what state or city you live in. I worked at a rod shop for a few years right out of high school and still do it at home and I worked with some REAL FLAKES. Halk of the car mechanics or painters/body men out there are crack heads, drunks and just dont live a clean life style. I was around it all the time but never followed their lead. I learned by THEIR mistakes. That is why I will not drink when I work because it may look nice at the time but the next day you look at it and say to yourself "What the hell is this, looks like a sculpture of somekind made from bondo". I think the paint fumes and paint thinner gets to us... :turn:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Some more pictures

Tried to get the true color but Iam not good at taking pictures

I finally finished detailing the jack. You can bring back the shine of the silver cad on the mast with naval jelly (rust remover) and 0000 steel wool if it is not badly rusted. Just dont leave it on more than a few seconds and then wash it with water. The wing nut I replated with all my other original silver cad pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is looking really nice, factory orginal. I like it.
Thanks. I have changed a few things from original but it is all 1966 Nova. I decided to give the interior a little more gloss than it came with from Chevrolet.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts