Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to repair and fill some unnecessary holes in my firewall before I install my new front clip.
Looking for opinions on how best to fill the seams; should I use seam sealer or can bondo be used?
Not looking for an ultra "smooth" fiewall but do want it to look half decent. I'm going to paint it with por 15.

·
6,502 Posts
I would weld the holes shut, grind them down and then put filler over them. On seams, clean them out, epoxy prime the area and then apply seam sealer over the joints and then apply primer over it all and then topcoat it.
The only place I'm using POR-15 is on the inside of panels and cavities. On exterior panels or panels that will be seen and may have required fillers and or seam sealers they will get another type of topcoat.

Jim

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I'd do as Jim went through in his post. After doing all that work I wouldn't use POR15. If you are going that far, spend the extra time to make it real nice and use a basecoat clearcoat for finish.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I didn,t paint my firewall, I left it original because" I have a driver"! Well that feeling didn,t last long! I wish I would have done it anyway! Too late now! Do it right you won,t be sorry!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I welded and grinded, then I cleaned out the seams and used a metal filler sanded smooth and painted w/Black epoxy. Looks pretty darn good, I must say! Do it you won't hate yourself later.:rolleyes::)

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Just went thru that on my 66. I welded everything and then a little bondo. Take the time now if you are doing a front clip. I just about have my new front clip done.
Tg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts