Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a product called Dr. Colorchip on you tube. Little apprehensive about it, since it has such mixed reviews. What is the best method members have found to fix/ fill in paint chips? I know that chips, and scratches cause the paint to valley. This usually requires sanding it down. Want it to look nice, as the paint looks goo, and is relatively new. Thank you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saw a product called Dr. Colorchip on you tube. Little apprehensive about it, since it has such mixed reviews. What is the best method members have found to fix/ fill in paint chips? I know that chips, and scratches cause the paint to valley. This usually requires sanding it down. Want it to look nice, as the paint looks goo, and is relatively new. Thank you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The ultimate way is to take 2000 grit sand paper and sand the affected area (chip) and surrounding area about the size of a marble or 1/2 inch diameter. Dab the rock chip with base coat. Do this until coverage which should be 2 to 3 coats(dabs). Let it sit and then dab the area with a catalyzed clear coat just a little bigger that the paint chip. Let sit over night. Flat sand dimple of clear coat with 1000 grit wet and finish with 2000 grit. Buff back to shine with a 2 to 3 step buffing compounds. Works best on dark colors blacks and whites. High metallic silvers and browns or lighter colors may show the spots more but at least they wont look like white chips.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tuxedo black. I did touch up chips,with a small paint brush. It just leaves a unsightly crater of bumpy paint. Going to try sanding, clean with lacquer thinner, then paint. You can smooth pint evenly with a single edge razor blade, then buff it. Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts