Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a B&M 142 supercharger. I read that I will be needing a 4" cowl to be able to keep a good size air cleaner and not worry about clearance issues on my 1975 nova. I am considering going with a fiberglass hood since I am buying a good with a cowl in, why not reduce some weight while I am at it.

My question is what pros and cons are there in a fiberglass hood over a steel hood? And visa versa?

I would just buy a cowl and put in on myself but I am no body man. Engines I can do but body no.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
My question is what pros and cons are there in a fiberglass hood over a steel hood? And visa versa?

I would just buy a cowl and put in on myself but I am no body man. Engines I can do but body no.

Thanks for input.
Don't do it yourself. :no: Even if your a good bodyman, issues with cracking and the time involved with doing the job makes buying a new hood more sense.

Fiberglass is obviously a lot lighter than steel. The fit is about the same and is good. However, if the steel hood doesn't fit right, you're pretty much stuck with it. Whereas a fiberglass hood can always be made to fit even if it's short or long.

The biggest issue I see with the fiberglass is fatigue around the hood lock. I still don't have any issues but I can see that someday I will. At high speed the hood tends to lift up. This can easily be cured with hood pins.

Here's my fiberglass 2" cowl hood that was simply painted and installed...........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts