Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to run a fiberglass pin on hood on my street track car, harwood said that they would't recomend it because of sun and under hood temp beating the hood up, i am not to concerned with looks, just want the car to be as light as possible it will be garaged and i am in california.I am not against a bolt on but they cost even more and i think they wheight more too. Anybody have some experience with this? I was thinking of getting a glasstek flat hood and cutting a hole in it for clearence issues, or if i can find a used one that would be nice!I got a old skhool grump lump that i might run, or a custom aluminum air cleaner scoop, i want a nostalgia look.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I think Harwood is blowing smoke. Do you think that the hoods aren't made to be out in the sun? What about all these race cars that sit in the sun at the track all day? I think you'll be fine with a pin on hood. I'm going to have a bolt on Glasstek on my 65. The hood is the same as a pin on except it 's has more beef in the hookup areas. I'm not going to worry about it. People run glass hoods on the street all the time. Dave

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a 4" glass hood on my 72 for a long time. I never had a big house with a nice garage, nor a big ol' shop. Mine sat outside ALL the time. Rain or shine. I never had any problems with mine.

I even got to where I could just take the pins off all four corners, and raise it up like it was on a hinge. Had some sponge wrapped with shirts at each corner for protection, raised it and propped it up, checked my oils and such, dropped her back down all under the tin at the gas station.

However since then, I found it nicer to have one hinged :yes:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
If this is a street car, what difference does it make if it's a little lighter or not? For street driving, it's not going to make any noticable difference except it's not going to look nearly as good as a steel hood. They are correct, any glass product "moves" in the sun. Look at glass street rods for instance...get them out in a hot day in direct sun and you can see all kinds of movement. Our carbon fiber Camaro does the same thing. To keep them looking good, you have to cut & buff fairly regular.

Pin on hoods are a pain in the rear if you want to remove it by yourself, then where do you put it?

If this was a race car, then that's a different story but for a street car, it's a stretch to find many positives to make it worth doing IMO. Just a few things for you to think about before doing it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hood

If this is a street car, what difference does it make if it's a little lighter or not? For street driving, it's not going to make any noticable difference except it's not going to look nearly as good as a steel hood. They are correct, any glass product "moves" in the sun. Look at glass street rods for instance...get them out in a hot day in direct sun and you can see all kinds of movement. Our carbon fiber Camaro does the same thing. To keep them looking good, you have to cut & buff fairly regular.

Pin on hoods are a pain in the rear if you want to remove it by yourself, then where do you put it?

If this was a race car, then that's a different story but for a street car, it's a stretch to find many positives to make it worth doing IMO. Just a few things for you to think about before doing it.
I am going to race the car too, i figure less wheight the better i have a full cage,i want to go as fast as i can for what i got, i would be saving about 40 pounds, with the fiber hood, i also ditched the interior back seat, carpet , ect., front bumper, made a aluminum bumper bar, and was going to run aluminum heads on new motor also so close to 100 pounds of the front end would be good right! I probly should worry about it later, i still need a moser 12 bolt and parts for the new motor.I do appreciate all of your advise!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
there is nothing wrong with running fiberglass hoods on the street i think there is a company out there called " street trendz " who sells complete car bodys that are entirely made out of fiberglass. :yes:

·
Registered
562 Posts
im with you chucky... i am building a street strip car also. im putting a fiberglass pro front end, hood deck lid,and rear bumper. im trying to lighten as well. lighter is faster. i have several buddies that run glass, and for years you will be just fine.

P.S. any weight off the nose will help

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Fellas...I never said there was anything "wrong" with running fiberglass, carbon fiber, cardboard, plastic, paper mache, or whatever. You can run whatever pleases you. BUT, for a fact, glass, carbon fiber, etc. all affects the paint when it gets in the sun. Let it sit out for a few hours and look at all the seams, lines, where there is any underlay material...it typically becomes visible. If you have ever seen a paint job that exhibited signs of shrinkage, it's similar. Heat affects the materials where steel it won't exhibit the same symptoms. Even our painter was surprised to see with the carbon fiber body how much it was affected by the heat, but it's just the nature of the beast.

It catches a lot of people off guard, especially if they are picky about the paint job and they wonder what is wrong and what happend to their perfect paint job. The purpose of my post was NOT to dictate what to or what not to use, merely to warn someone ahead of time what happens so they can make a more educated decision on what to spend their money on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts