Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that my fiberglass hood is warped. I have tryed to align many times and no luck. There is always a slight curve to it in the center and the front and back are perfect. It is an unknown brand hood that is already prepped and painted. I am using factory hinges and "fiberglass" springs. The hood looks the same when the springs are off. You can see into the engine compartment through the gap. I was wondering if there were any fixes or will I have to purchase a new hood. I have been looking at some steel cowl hoods, but dont want to spend the money if I dont have too.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My understanding is that this is very common with the fiberglass hood - if you have the time you could try glassing in some strips of material along the edge with the hood flexed into position - but that might make it slightly longer....

Are you sure your latch is not too far forward or out of alignment causing the bowing?

If you pull the latch and lower the hood do you still have the same bow - is it better or worse?

Maybe a pic or two as well ....

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fiberglass will reshape if left in the sun and not properly stored. It is possible to get it back in shape. If you support it on a flat suface outside, and place some weight at the warped area. It will work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does not latch, using hood pins. But it appears to keep its shape when its lifted. I will see if I can get a pic or two this weekend.

I have heard putting some weight on it will help. Jusst wasn't sure if it would damage the paint.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
6,525 Posts
I've repaired a few fiberglass hoods and fenders over the years and while not hard to do, does take some time and materials.

First you need to identify where the alignment problem is and on something like the side edge of a hood, see if you or another person can push the edge down by hand and see if now all of that edge lines up. If it does then some surgery is going to be needed.

On the underside of the hood where you pushed down before this area needs to have a slit put into the underside of the hood going from left to right on the underside hood stiffening supports. You want to limit how deep this slit is and not so deep as to come through to the topside of the hood.

Once this underside bracing support has a slit in it you will find it is a lot easier to push this high spot down when it's back on the car but this slit needs to be repaired to hold the hood so it stays in this better alignment and get the rigidity back into the hood. By using some scrap steel or whatever that has some rigidity this needs to be attached to the topside of the hood to hold this high spot down to where when the hood is removed again it can be flipped over and allow this weakening slit to be repaired. By roughening up the surrounding area on this slit it will allow new fiberglass matting to adhere to it.

To prepare for the repair, I would cut some strips of fiberglass matting (not cloth) maybe 5-6" long by about 2" wide. You then need to chop up somewhat fine some additional fiberglass matting making a small pile of it. Sorta like a small pile of diced and finely chopped up onions.

Not with a small batch of fiberglass resin and hardener mix this up in a small tupperware type of plastic bowl and when fully mixed, take a small elcheapo paint brush and brush this resin around the area of the slit to wet it down. Now dump in the finely mixed matting into the bowl and stir it in to get it all nice and wet. Now you should have a thick paste of chopped up fiberglass matting, resin, and hardener. Now take a small glob out of the mixing bowl and work what you can into the slit to fill the gap and work it so it's fairly smooth.

Now take a break and let this set up. Once it's dry take some sandpaper and smooth it a little bit.

Now clean out the hardened up fiberglass in the bowl and mix up a second small batch of resin and hardener.

With a new second elcheapo paint brush, wet the area and then lay one of the cut strips of matting across the filled in slit. Add extra resin to fully soak the matting. Now lay on a second strip next to it and work it until it is fully wet with the resin. Keep adding more strips until you have 2-3 layers thick and then let it sit and cure. Do not rush it and maybe come back the next day.

The next day take the brace off of the topside of the hood and now the hood should be holding it's new shape.

Repair the holes made from attaching the temporary brace and the hood should be good to go.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts