Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 4" cowl hood from glasstek. The hood looked great and I was very happy with it. So I scuffed it down and put some filler primer on it to block it out. I started sanding on it and there are three spots that the gelcoat started pelling off the biggest is about 6"X12" and it keeps gitting bigger as I sand on it to smooth it out. The gelcoat just flakes off in some sports in pieces the size of a dime now I dont know what to do because I know I cant leave it on there and I am not sure how to get it all off the hood without making the hood all wavey from sanding on it too much. What should i do:confused:

·
Registered
597 Posts
If the gelcoat itself is peeling off, there is a problem with the hood. That stuff should be pretty much a part of the underlying fiberglass. Is it peeling off, or are they air bubbles that are being worn through?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Call glasstek, it sounds like they have a manufacturing defect going on. Maybe a bad catalyst in the layer below the gelcoat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There arent any bubbles or anything like that in the hood, the hood looks great I had no complaints until I started sanding on it. Today I took my DA and sanded on it untill it quit peeling with #80 grit and smoothed it out with #320 grit and put some filler prime over it it seems there are three layers on the hood the first is the seimi gloss black which the hood came with which is what is peeling off then there is a very thin layer of material and then it goes to fiberglass I am not sure which is the gel coat? I am going to call glastek tommorow but I bought the hood a year ago so I dont think they will do anything

1 - 4 of 4 Posts