Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im about to buy some fenders for my 66 nova, if i buy fiberglass or steel it gonna cost around $600, my car is a street/strip deal. I spoke with VFN fiberglass and they make a street fender thats a little thicker and stronger. Has anyone went this route and using headlights and all? Or should i just go with some flimsy *** after market fenders?Thanks Mickey

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Check with Nightshade on this site...................he'll hook you up with some Goodmark fenders,bag the glass fenders,too much of a hassle..............

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
When we built the '65 Chevelle for Outlaw 10.5, we used a VFN lightweight one-piece front. The headlights and turn signals all were fitted to the fiberglass and were functional.

Was that John Wilsons car?

·
6,502 Posts
Hey guys im about to buy some fenders for my 66 nova, if i buy fiberglass or steel it gonna cost around $600, my car is a street/strip deal. I spoke with VFN fiberglass and they make a street fender thats a little thicker and stronger. Has anyone went this route and using headlights and all? Or should i just go with some flimsy *** after market fenders?Thanks Mickey
I did some work on a "race" Nova/Chevy II years ago and we had to build our own headlight mouldings, supports, and so on but it was being built to be a race type of vehicle. I remember too adding supports into the back edges of the front fenders to keep the fenders in a position to where they matched to the front edge of the front doors. Yes we had a lot of work to make it look nice but some things we slacked off on as you are looking at a race car with a 40' or so inspection. If a closer look was done you would see more flaws so to speak.

I have not heard of flimsy with any aftermarket replacement steel fenders on cars but like anything else I have to think if you want it nice, you will have to work to them also to get a good as assembly line fit or a show car fit.

Speaking out loud here, do you want to work on fiberglass or do you want to work on steel ?.
Fiberglass could be lighter than steel but then a steel assembly could be lighter than fiberglass. If you know how to work with glass and not steel then glass might work for you. If you can work steel and not glass then I would opt for steel. You have to be comfortable with what you can do or if you farm out the work, what can they do for you ?.

I have yet to finish my 73 Nova with a bunch of fiberglass and I have to wonder how it will react to temperature changes and while it sits I did address how the glass hood fits to the fenders, how the fenders fit to the doors, and so on BUT I have to ask myself how much weight gains did I save with this.

It's going to be your decision as to what you do but I would maybe lean towards steel. If you are doing the rest of the car in steel, keep it all the same.
I've also had other freinds acid dip things to make thing lighter while still calling it and all steel car. But then again, the word flimsy comes into view.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts