Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a customcenter console for my wagon from fiberglass but have never worked with it before. I realize I'll have to make a pattern for it but how complete must it be? Can I just give it the outline and curves? And is there a difference in the types of glass I use? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Dave

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
From what I've seen elsewhere and from other posts here, I think you just need to assemble a skeleton of sorts, I guess you'd want to incorpoate cup holders or gauge pods at this time. Then you use a material called fleece with fiberglass resin to cover and bring your contours together. Alot like custom audio enclosures. Finish off with Dura-glass then your favorite filler. Voila......I know easier said.:D

·
6,554 Posts
Yep, it is easier said than done sometimes and it depends on the design and what you want to achieve.
I would do a search here on this site or on Google and read away. While you can use fleece it also gives a rougher outside surface that requires more filler or sanding to get smooth but if it's being covered with padding and material it is a way to get a quick first layer on top of a mold or from being streched over something. Normally the stuff I've done I've used double knit material (a little thinner than T-shirt material) but one layer of it is fairly thin and requires backup matting and fiberglass to make it stronger. On some of the sub enclosures I've done I've also used speaker box carpeting but you have to watch how thick the layers are as the process is a chemical reaction and creates a fair amount of heat which can also warp panels on the project.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts