Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few rust areas im not 100% on what to do.

This area is behind the rear seat agains the inner fender (drivers side) The under side of that are is fine. You think i should fix it or leave it?

THis is the other side. Looks like the PO filled it with sealer or filler. Should i fix it or not?

As you can see in this area where the quarter meets toward the back of the car. The quarter is not quite finished because the tail panel needs to go in next. At least thats how the PO did it. I believe he had a body man do the quarters and didnt have them finish for unknown reasons. The old quarters was left and i was wondering if i you just cover it up? I think it would be a pain to remove that area. You can also see where theirs eather filler or sealer that should be removed and patched.

One more question. Are these supports supposed to be welded to the floor?

Thanks for the Advice

Pat

·
Registered
932 Posts
the last picture..............yes they are saposta be welded to the floor there structeral braces

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, Ill try to help, Im not a body man but hey!! Ill start with the last first. The supports, under the car. They are prolly spot welded already. I dont see any gaps or issues.

Next, the rear quarter. Are you talking about the fact that the Q isnt welded to the vertical structure?? I kinda got lost. Is the quarter fully welded on the outside? If so then the area I see, that lil ledge that goes up to the tail panel (bumper mounting area? )? Looks like it was cut at a rough 90 degree? That wont need welding. But, a couple of tacks from that ledge to the Q wont hurt, small tacks. Just to keep any noise and flapping. But be careful, you dont want to pull the quarter into that area, the outside will get wavy. It looks like there is a large gap there so if its not up against it dont weld. Just trim off the ugly cuts and blend it out. Now the section above that. Is that were the Q and the rear tail panel meet? Thats gonna need welding. Or did they weld it on the outside, where the two panels meet? Is so then once again, its fully welded, that is just some overhang of the old inner panel. I dont know what it looked like before they cut out the inner panel. But on my car that area extends further a lil and forms a structural support for the top of the quarter. Well if that was there before its gone now. So its just remnants of that. And it wasnt originally welded to the quarter. So agian I would just contour the entire cut line they made to make it a lil more pleasing to the eye then if you care to use some body caulk to keep the quarter from contacting and maybe give a lil sealing properties, dont know how much you really need there but it just gives it a finished look.

Now the other pics, Im trying to interpret them :) Looks like the area adjacent to the rear inner tubs? Looks like just some crappy cuts. Its solid on the back side, the tire side? Were the wheel tubs replaced or was it rust damage that was repaired from the backside?? If its solid on the back side I would just take a tool (I would use an air grinder and carbide burr), your choice and square up the jagged metal. Neutralize any rust if there is some and call it done. But if you are feeling like welding, a strip of sheetmetal could be formed to close that hole up. But honestly, I dont see the gains. The passengers side doesnt look as bad but umm, do I see light, that blue spot in the center?? If its through and through you have to fix that.

Lemme know if I got a 1/4 of the pics figured out right LOL Next you will be telling me I was at the wrong end of the car Hahahah.. Sorry. Just trying. I work better when its in my face. JR

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry my descriptions arent the greatest. I will start from the bottom down like you did and try and clear anything up. So i will re-post pics and try to be more clear.

The gap on the lower Q where the bumper wraps around is their because it hasent been completed. Also the gaps big like that because part of the old Q is still their. In the next pic you can see (inside trunk) where the old Q was cut and the new one over laps. When the Q were installed the PO Cut the old Q out leaving about 2 inches overlap. Then he layed the new one over top ( getting the body lines straight) and cut throught old and new Q doing about a foot at a time then welding it in. So the lower part of the old Q where the bumper wraps around is still their under the new one. The problem is the only way to remove it now would be to cut the new Q to access the old peice and removing it. You think its worth doing all that work or is their another way?

Next the area in this pic is between the inner wheel well and rear seat panel. Its not visible from the under side of the wheel well but the above the rear axle. Their is no indication of it coming through on the other side because i beleive theirs an open cavity between the 2 areas (correct me if im wrong). So the weather should get at in unless it managease to reach it from the inside. But being that it is rust and its in a tight spot is it worth removing and re- welding in a better peice? Or should i just cut out the rust and leave it? The passenger side looks better but i thinks theirs sealor or filler covering it.

I really appreciate the response's and hope this clears up any confusions.
Hope to hear back

Pat

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
IMO I would patch it with metal, seam sealer will keep out the elements, but won't offer any structural strength. If you have the tools and ability then I would weld it up better then it has been done, this will also prevent any other body work from failing down the road.

Are you near Langley BC? We have a Canadian member here, 2 black rag tops, Carl, who's a bodyman and from what we've seen a darn good one. He may be able to help you out too.:yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Is it securely welded or how is it held now? If not, I would weld it in, because it will likely crack down the road. If it's welded already seam sealer would clean it up more.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres what it looks like from the other side.
Its not completed because the PO was going to put the rear panel in first.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Get the new rear panel in, then weld it in correctly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The problem is that to remove the old peice of quarter i would have to cut the new one to get it out.
Sorry its really hard to explain but i bare with me

Thanks

Pat

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
If it was my car I would cut the new quarter to fit against the old part you circled and butt weld it. I'm not sure on your level of comfort and tool access though. You could drill small holes at various locations to mark where the old piece is and use a cutoff wheel carefully, remove the new part that you want to discard, then clamp it and tack weld it in place. I hope that makes sense. I would suggest to get a tail panel first, so you know how much you can leave or remove, just incase.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess nows the time to do it
I also dont know what kind of shape that area of the old panel is in, so i guess i can always use that part of the new to repair.
Thanks for the help

Pat

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, thats actually how I pictured it from you first description, just wanted to make sure.

Ummm? You cant get clearance to remove that small leftover strip of old Q. You will be eating at the inside of the new Q on that top section. Maybe, and just maybe with a steady hand and light touch you can use a thin cutoff wheel and cut the old Q. Easier for the lower section, tougher for the top part cause it looks like it is tight to the new Q. You could go as close to cutting through as you can before actually getting all the way through then just kinda work it back and forth to get it to separate.

But I dont see the need.

But what really gets me is the original Q section, the lower one, there is a gap there right, looks to be about a 1/2". What? If the section we see was the original Q how can the new Q stick out that far. The new Q should have come up against it in that area just as tight as it does on the upper section. Like the new Q is bowed out in that area??

And after looking at the outside pics I would say she is ready to weld up that cut, maybe heavy tack the inside UPPER area in and cut off all that isnt solidly welded. I wouldnt go about moving the new Q. If its lining up at the rear then you are set. BUT!!!!

I would NOT try and pull the new Q in and make it meet the old Q. If you were even considering that. The new Q seems to have a bulge (from the outside pics) at that lower area. To have it come in for a butt weld to the lower area you would have to re-work the entire panel. Thats prolly why it wasnt welded up to the section to begin with.

Hey, how does the drivers side of that area look? Not bad Im guessin. Check the outside of the body there. Does the driverside have the same apparent bulge in that area. You want them to look the same. I dont know that car body shape that well. If you cant tell just from looking measure.

Take a drop line with a point and center it on the outside wheel well lip. Draw a line on the ground. Then drop a line from that rear Q section Im talking about. Draw a line on the ground. Measure the offset. Then do the same for the passengers side. If you have say 1.5" of offset on the "good" drivers side and say 2" of offset on the passengers side I would suspect the new Q being way off and needs to be heavily worked. Which really, Im hoping isnt the case. JR

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basiclly the old Q is holding the new Q out making it look like its bulged. So i think im going to cut around the bumper hump thing cutting out the old part of Q then re welding in the new peice. In return cutting out the old peice of Q. I have no idea why the PO didnt do this in the first place, but whatever.
Its hard to explain but when the time comes i'll post pics. Oh ya and the reason they didnt finish welding the Q in is because the tail panel is going in next.

THanks for your reply

Pat

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know the factory has a seam between the quarter and rocker panel. I was just wondering what you would do if the Quarters replaced? This is what the PO did on my car.
I was thinking of just welding it and smoothing it.

As you car see the PO just spot welded it in a couple places then filled it with filler.

THanks

Pat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts