Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting to put my front clip back together but am going to need some help. I had some photos from when I took the fenders and mud buckets off but now I can't find them on my CD's or Hard Drive. Would anyone have any photos you might have taken of the area shown in the scan I have attached? I need to know how the clips, bolts, etc. all connected together. I have the skirts, core support and mud buckets bolted together but need help identifying how all the rest goes back together in the front fender area. It seems there are three nut clips that attach to the mud bucket and maybe another two that attach to the fenders to allow the headlight bucket to be secured with screws. The Assembly Manual is very vague in this area. If anyone can help, I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Sam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
the bolt that hold everything together are 5/16" X 18 X 3/4 "
there should be captured nuts that the bolts screw into , there are 2 captured nuts on a pinch type slide on clip , that attaches to a bracket on the under side of the top of the fender , the top of the mud bucket , fender skirt ,radiator support and fender all are bolted together from the bottom up , inside the mud bucket area up to the upper portion of the fender .

I believe it should go in order from bottom to top , core support , mud bucket , fender skirt and fender

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I'm going to drag out my old rusty fender and take a look at what you've said. It would be nice to see a face on photo of the mud bucket with the clips so I can see which ones they are and how the fender sits on the piece that has the two holes shown in the last photo. That was one of my main concerns.

It'd also be nice to see a photo of the headlight bucket sitting inside the Mud bucket to see how that mates up.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That photo helped me tremendously. Now I see how the headlight bucket sits inside the mud bucket. I went back and looked at my Assembly Manual and found pg. 128 which shows just that. I don't know how I missed that page when I was looking for an illustration. Getting old and blind isn't fun!

I took a look at my old fender and saw that the fender sits on top of the two holes shown in the last photo I posted and that there is a lip that folds inward right at the front top of the fender. Those holes did appear to align with the holes I was asking about. For both fenders, I've got 4 slide on nuts GM #3784845 and 4 bolts GM#3846202 to do this part of the job. Also, have the other GM# 3846202 bolts to go to the other places.

To attach the Headlamp filler buckets, I have 4 slide on nuts GM#3849974 and 4 screws GM#9419400.

What I'm missing is the slide on nuts at the top and bottom of the mud bucket that are identified as UPC12 in the manual. They are not seen in the headlight bucket photo. Anyone got any idea what these slide on nuts are?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are great photos. The headlight buckets are the next thing I'll be doing when I get all the hardware figured out on the front clip.

Maybe someone that has already gotten to the point of putting their clips on the mud bucket and will offer a photo so I can see the size and what size screw/bolt is required for them.

The clips that you listed are the ones that go along the top of the front clip to secure the fenders. I just got through installing them on the clip right before lunch. I'm not sure they are the exact c-clips but I think they will work as GMclassic lists them for that. Will have to put some thicker sealer along that edge to seal the fender to the front clip.

The thing about the mud bucket clips are that the holes are very close to the bucket lip edge so the clips have to have a nut that sits out close to the edge. A standard clip that has the hole in the middle won't slip on and have the nut line up with those holes. I think.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I believe you are right about that clip. I found one just like it in my catalog and it's listed as "Headlamp Housing" but it also says '67-'68 Camaro. It looks just like the one that GMClassic is selling to fit the Novas. I'll buy four from GMC and see how they fit.

Spent a few hours looking around last evening and found this photo of a mud bucket with the clips mounted. Not my mud bucket so I hope I don't offend someone by using it here. It shows clips that look like what you described and where they are located on the bucket. When I enlarged the photo I could see that the very bottom one looked different in that the clip appears to have a bigger hole. Possibly to secure a fender bolt?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts