Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I've been on here a little while and never have posted a build thread so I'm going to start going through my pics and get it started.

The car had the Cragar 14s all the way around when I bought it but I didn't take any pics until after the I bought the rallies and 275/60/15s for the back.
[/IMG]

Oh yea I put some TA wheels with the 275/60s 1st then went with the rallies which I got the hole set for a 100.00 bucks offf of a 69 Camaro, the backspacing is off and the wheels set to far out making the 275s rubb.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The car had been hit in the fron and back. Looked like a chain reaction crash, both bumpers were junk.

Painted the trunk just to make sure this was the color I wanted. i custom mixed it with PPG at the body shop I was working at.

Didn't have an air cmpressor so I bought this gas powered one at an auction had to do some fixing but it worked enough I could sand blast the rusty spots I was going to replace. The floors were in good shape and needed no attention.

Didn't have to replace the 1/4s I just patched them.
Pulling the tail light panel back out straight.
Ready for primer.
Repaired and primed this 1/4 at the shop and stripped and mudded the other at home in the yard.

Not counting the paint job I done the car had only been painted twice, once at the factory (gold and white top) and black by one of the many owners. The Black paint rolled right off the 1/4s with a razor.
Always note the house in the background it will play a major role in this story soon.:yes:
Cimical striped the doors and found out I was going to have to replace the bottom skin on both doors and patch the corners near the smoker's windows.

Trimmed my doors out inside my little building, you can't see them but I had fans in the windows, one blowing in and one blowing out.

Trimmed the door jams out outside.

Didn't have all the bolts to the front cap so I bought a bolt kit and reassembled the car in my carport.

The car after reassembly and before final sanding.

Final sanded the car one Friday night outside and headed to the bodyshop Saturday morning early. Got there wiped it down looked it over and taped it up, alone.

Best I remember I started at 7 or 8 and left around 1 after backing the car for an hour.

A few months later I decided to install a windshield.

Also redone the dash, smoothed the dash cluster, deletted the idiot lights,and custom inserted a tach. Also smoothed the old pad and added a mural.

After cleared and installed.

Also installed a tilt column from a 1976 Delta 88 Olds.

Heres the most recent pics I have of the car.

Its been about 2 years now and I haven't done anything major to the car. I left home one night to go to my aunts to the basement because of a heavy line of storms coming. As I left I thought I might move my car foward a little in the carport to keep and wind blown hail from hitting it when I came home after the storm this is what I found.

The car was inside the carport the 2 feet I moved it was all that saved, that and the good Lord above. When I got there there was a tree top on the fron of the house and all you could see was one headlight.

Since then I've fixed the house but it's still not finished, bought a big block and finished the console just have to add the mural on it and bolt it in. Here are the pics of the big block and console.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm glad there are others that committed the sin of shaving the door handles:cool:. I'm jealous you have a windshield, I haven't gotten that far yet lol.

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
Thanks, pics of the house are gone? Is there a rule against that? If there is I'll edit the thread and just explain what happened.
No there isn't. I would guess they were deleted from your photobucket album. Your car is looking very nice. You do great work. :yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That was impressive to see all at once, great job, and you'll love the BB, they're lots of fun!!:D

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was impressive to see all at once, great job, and you'll love the BB, they're lots of fun!!:D
Thanks, but if you'll notice the dates I've been trying to build this thing for about 5 years and have made little progress. Feel like selling it alot of times and just building a truck, there alot cheaper and easier to me. Thought about just cleaning the BBC up and throwing it in there but a compression test gave these sad results.
1=60lbs
3=90
5=70
7=90
2=120
4=110
6=120
8=30
Throw that in there and folks will probably call my Nova "Smoken Joe":eek:
Going by the junk yard today and pick up an extra fuse box. I'm going to run a hot off the bat to a seperate box for all the add-ons (fans, fog lights, etc...) one from a Nissan Maximu looks pretty cool, low profile and CHEAP. Also may pick up a power lug from a 90's chevy pick-up. I'll post some pics if I do.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Thanks, but if you'll notice the dates I've been trying to build this thing for about 5 years and have made little progress. Feel like selling it alot of times and just building a truck, there alot cheaper and easier to me. Thought about just cleaning the BBC up and throwing it in there but a compression test gave these sad results.
1=60lbs
3=90
5=70
7=90
2=120
4=110
6=120
8=30
Throw that in there and folks will probably call my Nova "Smoken Joe":eek:
Going by the junk yard today and pick up an extra fuse box. I'm going to run a hot off the bat to a seperate box for all the add-ons (fans, fog lights, etc...) one from a Nissan Maximu looks pretty cool, low profile and CHEAP. Also may pick up a power lug from a 90's chevy pick-up. I'll post some pics if I do.
If it makes you feel any better, I've owned my #'s L78 since 92 I think and it's still in a basket!:eek: I bought the red one in my siggy below, because I couldn't wait for the other one!:no:

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it makes you feel any better, I've owned my #'s L78 since 92 I think and it's still in a basket!:eek: I bought the red one in my siggy below, because I couldn't wait for the other one!:no:
That and encoraging words from other posts about how the car looks really help. Like I mentioned before I'm really starting to get the truck fever. I built an 81 looked alot like this car (blue, shaved handles, slick unclutered body) and I've always liked 72's lots of guys had some cool ones when I was a kid. A buddy had one I almost bought and it was stolen took the motor, tranny, rally wheels and burnt it:( was a nice truck too:(

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got my additional fuse box and power lug. The box came from a Nissan Maximu (year unkown, 90's -05) red line indecates the factory name. A little lacquer thinner and sha-zam now its a highly expencive after market fuse box . The braket in the 2nd pic snaps to the bottom of the box. This will all be located in the corner of the right fender where the battery use to be. I will use a radio shack hobby box or a relay bar from a Buick Century for the relay holder. Total cost $0.00, yep just gave them to me. I've dropped off old scrap metal and told him where some cars were so he usually dosen't charge me much for little stuff. I figure it would cost 5-10 anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I made 2 steps forward and ten back over the last 2 days. I ordered some parts but 1st to the 1st project i started. well I rebuilt my 1st power steering sector:eek: never again. Execpt when I get to redo this one :mad:. i removed the sector rebuilt it with minor beginner problems, dropped the balls had to reinstall. Once I got it back in everything was golden until I heard this pop-squish sound and noticed it had blowed the pitman arm seal, this was the hole reason for the rebiuld, it leaked. Well inspection showed I didn't get the snap ring completly seated, further inspection showed i grabbed the wrong ring:mad:. So after I managed to hammer the seal back into the housing so I could get the pitman arm puller on and remove the arm. So I took a chance and hammered the seal back in, it looked good, but it leaks just a little so I will pull the sector and replace the seal:(. Also replaced the rear brake shoes, while putting the brakes back I noticed somthing just didn't look right, the bar that sets between the brake shoes was missing, it had never been there. So I had to make a 15 min drive back to town and get a replacement. Finished the brakes and found that one side doesn't work, Needs wheel cylinder, and the front rubber brake hose busted, and will need replaced. While under the car I noticed the lower balljoint on the passenger side was shot, had major play in it. So new balljoints and tie rods are in the future. i did discover the pitman arm had been replaced, prety new. But at the end of the 2nd day I got my door seals, inner and outer window felts, bump stops, trunk rubber, hood/cowl seal, rear window tracks, and big block heater core plate and seal. Will post more after the seals are in.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Well at least it looks better:D
Pic of all the seals and weatherstripping
[/IMG]
Now why these are on the car is a mystery to me? Somebody put Willwood 4 piston disc brakes on the car counting me 3 owners ago. Thats about 10-15 years ago. I think they may have came from an old dirt track car. Just given the engine was original until one guy before me and he installed a Carquest crate engine. Before that it was all #'s matching he even gave me the owners manual and protecto plate after i bought the car from the other guy. He didn't know who put them on there either. I still know where the original motor and heads are but cann't get them. The engine block is in a work truck and the heads are in the floor of a guys shop and he want sell'em.
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
I'm glad there are others that committed the sin of shaving the door handles:cool:. I'm jealous you have a windshield, I haven't gotten that far yet lol.
car is beautiful!
just curious,
how did you do the jams?
did you chemical strip them or bead blast them?
im doing mine now and wanted to know the best way.
thanks
steve

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know if its the best way but I sanded the snott out of mine. Used a DA sander all I could and hand sanded the rest, even in the cracks. Primed and sanded again and painted. Nothing fancy but it worked:yes:. Thanks for the complement days like today I just want to trade for somthing else:rolleyes: But tommorrow I will go to the parts store and the visous cycle will start over again.:D

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I've called every parts store in town, yep all three:D and none have a pitman shaft seal. There are 2 kits for just the lower part of the pitman shaft Gates 351040 (has 1 outer seal and a washer) Gates 351030 (has the inner seal and outer 2 washers, 1 snap ring, and a rubber o-ring). Probably go with the 2 seal kit just incase I find the inner seal is bad. Oh well guess I will install the weather stripping and felts.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts