Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here. I read all the posts but still need some clarity. I am using a 67 327 motor with a stock front sump pan. I believe the timing cover is original as well. I bought the thick 1 piece gasket. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The oil pan determines which one you need. To check you need to hold a straight edge across the flat portion of the pan and measure how deep the radius is. 2 1/4= thin seal and 2 3/8=thick seal. This information comes on the installation instructions for the standard felpro oil pan gasket. Good luck !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Am I doing Wrong...?

Ok... I have a 72 350 with a manual 3 speed. It is the original 350, pan, etc. I installed an after market chrome timing chain cover (brand unknown) that was purchased from Classic Industries. Replaced the pan gasket with a FelPro 4-pc = two cork gaskets / 2 rubber seals. It seeped at the bottom of the cover. I then replaced the pan gasket with a FelPro one piece P/N 34509 T. It still seeps from the area below the cover. I can see where it is leaking - right at the bottom of the cover. Pan checks true, all bolts were properly torqued and have been rechecked for that. Cover seems to be OK to. I checked it before installation and workmanship at least looked OK. Checked the thickness of the front part of the gasket which appears to be correct. Took all the measurments, put the old seal part of the gasket next to the hew one piece, etc. and it all seems to be right. Can I, or do you think it would help, put some RTV silicone sealer along the lip of the cover / pan to try to seal? I really do not want to have to pull everything (balancer, pump, oil pan, etc.) off again if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
oil leak!!

i am having the same problem,i am using the Felpro one piece oil pan gasket and it leaks out the bottom where the timing chain and oil pan meet, its soo annoying i dont know what to do oil gets everywhere and the electric fan is making it worse. i have a 69' sbc 350 and am using a proform timing cover, part number on summit is (proform parts 141-753) its the black with orange/red chevy bow-tie anyways I am also running a chevy2only 6qt front sump oil pan,and like i said am using the blue one piece gasket, from felpro. im pretty sure im using the thick gasket too..what to do??? really need the help!!! its a pretty good size leak. what am i doing wrong, i just put a little silicone on the corner but it isnt helping, ADVICE PLEAAASE:yes:

·
Registered
155 Posts
i am having the same problem,i am using the Felpro one piece oil pan gasket and it leaks out the bottom where the timing chain and oil pan meet, its soo annoying i dont know what to do oil gets everywhere and the electric fan is making it worse. i have a 69' sbc 350 and am using a proform timing cover, part number on summit is (proform parts 141-753) its the black with orange/red chevy bow-tie anyways I am also running a chevy2only 6qt front sump oil pan,and like i said am using the blue one piece gasket, from felpro. im pretty sure im using the thick gasket too..what to do??? really need the help!!! its a pretty good size leak. what am i doing wrong, i just put a little silicone on the corner but it isnt helping, ADVICE PLEAAASE:yes:
Put some silicone on both surfaces of the gasket between the pan and timing cover. ultra gray works real well. not a ton just a thin bead.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
How high must the engine be lifted to remove the oil pan in order to change this seal? Other than the distributor and motor mount bolts, is there anything else that must be removed?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
How high must the engine be lifted to remove the oil pan in order to change this seal? Other than the distributor and motor mount bolts, is there anything else that must be removed?
If you have a fan shroud then undo it and just let it float there.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts