Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fel Pro oil pan gasket leaks???

I just installed a new Fel Pro oil pand gasket and i have a horable leak. When it is running there is a steady dip coming from the front. Right at the bottom of the timing cover. It is a 67 with a 283. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do about it??

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
SBCs often come with 2 different front gaskets if it is an old school set(not one piece). A skinny and a thick one. Did you use the thick one (appx 1/2-5/8" thick)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
it is a Fel Pro perma dry plus # OS 34509T or 64016. It is a one piece blue rubber one. how will i know if this is the thin or the think one. if it the thin one that would make sence because it just poors out of the frount of the pan.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What kind of pan?
What kind of front cover???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its a stock type pan but it is not a OEM pan. And it a is some crome front cover with a gear drive timing set. I didnt build the motor so i dont know the brands of the parts used

·
Registered
595 Posts
Early pans used the thin front gasket and the latter and almost all aftermarket pans use the thick ones. The Fel Pro one piece used the thick front seal and you couldn't put the pan on if you had an early one.

I have seen several cheap front covers with the lip for the seal not properly welded to the front cover and this is a terrible leak just like you describe. The first one I did, I had to redo more than once to find the problem. Customer HAD TO HAVE the chrome cover and the car that day so I put Ultrablack silicone along the seam and it stopped the leak.
I have seen some lately that I don't think you could save they are so bad!!! Also, I say one aluminum front cover machined so badly it could not be used.

BEWARE OF CHEAP PARTS :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
it is a Fel Pro perma dry plus # OS 34509T or 64016. It is a one piece blue rubber one. how will i know if this is the thin or the think one. if it the thin one that would make sence because it just poors out of the frount of the pan.
I had the same problem on a SBC 400, I got the one piece Felpro pan gasket & it fixed the problem. I was told that the kit would fit any SBC block/pan combo, I thought it was the SBC 400 that was the issue, requiring the thick gasket. The kit even comes with some funky blue starter bolts that make installing the pan a snap....it also comes with a complete set of oil pan bolts....I have used this on SBC 350s & SBC 400s with no leaks & will only use the one piece gaskets from here out...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Felpro 1 piece Oil Pan gasket leaks (Merged)

for some time now I have had a small oil leak at the oil pan, at the bottom of the timing chain cover. The cover and oil pan seem to be fine so I spent the extra money for the one piece rubber seal for my oil pan. My mechanic friend put the oil pan up for me with the new gasket and I am still facing the same problem. The oil only leaks under the load of the engine at 3000 rpms or more. The oil pan looks good and so does the timing chain cover. Is there any differnce in the gaskets from the rear sump oil pans on the newer chevys vs the front sump oil pans on my 63 Nova? The gasket fit well all over except had to be streched a little to fit the front dip in the oil pan where it sits below the timing chain cover.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I'd swap out your pcv before you tear anything apart.They do fail/get clogged.Start with the easy stuff.good luck bm
Ps what do you have and how about some pictures?

·
Registered
21 Posts
even if the pcv valve were clogged, wouldnt the breather show signs of oil moving up in it. Also if it is not clogged, why would the oil only leak under pressure and not at any other time? Does that gasket have to sit exaclty or is it supposed to stretch a bit? Is it possible the timing chain cover could be slightly bent and cause such a leak?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts