Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've decided to use a one-piece oil pan gasket on my motor, SB350, but wanted to hear any comments from you guys that have used them. And I also have a question, Do you still apply gasket sealer to the corners around the front and rear mains (as I read in a magazine article)? I'm ready to install the pan so any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think they are great. They come with little plastic thread in dowels. Make sure the threads are clean and chased....(no, not "chaste") or you might have trouble getting them back out.
It should have instructions, but I don't recall it needs any sealer

·
Registered
311 Posts
I like it too. I have a Milodon 7 quart pan and cloyes "quick button" timing chain cover, mine did require a little sealer on the front seal. Not too bad just a little drip after high RPM use.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
One piece is the only way to go! For piece of mind I put a little dab of silicone in each corner of the block.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I used it in the Cloner..... works great. If you are the rare breed of guy that actually reads instructions...... it states.. "do not use silicone!!!" It's a simple thing really, rubber won't stick to silicone, "bond" is the better term. I didn't use silicone (although it was tough!!).... and no leak.

good luck Ric

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Teddi, i pulled my motor 4 times and replaced the thilnksndifgn;laksdf thing every time due to it leeking. All and all It was because of the Summit racing 7 quart oil pan. The gauge of metal was to thin and when i would torque it down with the one piece gasket it would always leak. I tried both putting sealer in the corners and not putting it in the corners. Either way it didn't leak any differently.

Solution: Bought a 350 dollar Canton Racing 8 quart pan. Put the one piece in and put a scoche of sealer on the corners(a film with the finger). Torqued it down and doesn't drip a drop or even have a juicy fart of oil!

It is most likely your pan, check the metal thickness and if the holes cave in just a little, the slightest amount will create problems.

Good mistake to be learned by my stupidity and youngfullness. I did get real good at pulling th e motor, could get it out in 3 hours, drop tranny, wiring and pulling included. Haha

-Rennskii(have to pull it again to put her in the SS)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
or these ??? http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400101

FPP-1880 Fel-Pro Performance Oil Pan Gaskets
Oil Pan Gasket, 1-Piece, Rubber, Steel Core, Chevy/ GMC Small Block, Each $38.69
FPP-1885 Fel-Pro Performance Oil Pan Gaskets
Oil Pan Gasket, 1-Piece, Rubber, Steel Core, Chevy/ GMC Small Block, Driver Dipstick, Thin Front Seal, Each $37.88

my link doesn't show proper listing, but you can click to the application page from it ;)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
FelPro one piece oil pan gaskets

I have the Felpro catalog and they show 5 SBC one piece gasket part numbers:

PN1881 1980-85 thick front seal RH dipstick; side rails trimmed for strokers
PN1880 1975-79 thick front seal LH dipstick; side rails trimmed for strokers
PN1885 1957-74 thin front seal LH dipstick
PN1882 Thick front seal straight side rails; side rails trimmed for strokers
PN1886 1986-97 thick front seal, one 1pc rear main seal GM bowtie short deck block

G

·
0 Posts
per jegs #'s FEL-PRO SMALL BLOCK CHEVY
1957-1975 1 piece 37.99 #1885
1986-1997 1 piece 39.99 #1886

MR.GASKET SMALL BLOCK CHEVY
1975-1985 1 piece 27.99 #6560
1986-1996 1 piece 27.99 #6561

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bought mine at Advanced auto parts for about $24.00, had it in stock .
I got the wrong one first time ,Thin front seal. Had to get the one with the thick front seal ,Stock front sump pan on a 400 . Most discount parts places should have them in stock.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts