Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for feedback from members who have done extensive metal work. What is the line for fixing a car vs making it a donor car instead?

The car - 72 nova (2 door) roller. My plan is to build a car that I intend to keep and drive - not build and sell. Since I want to do some customization, I thought it better to buy a roller than a complete driving car. I got the car for a few hundred $$ and it has a clear title.

The good parts - deck lid, hood, front fenders and drivers door are good or new. Firewall is also OK. Passenger door is OK at best. Sub frame is good but will need new parts (controls arms, bushings, etc.). I have all trim, bumpers, glass, etc.

The bad parts - everything not listed above (quarters, roof, floor pan/trunk pan, etc.). Basically everything from the firewall back. All will need to be replaced - none of it is repairable.

Since these cars are getting harder to find, is it worth it to replace that much metal or find a better "starter" car and work from there?

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Save or not

I would post pictures everybody can chime in.

Not seeing anything i would find a better car gen 3 are not hard to find and by the way its sounds your going to replace everything and that take $$$ and time do you have the skills and the time for this journey.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,014 Posts
quarters, roof, floor pan/trunk pan,
Most of those parts can be obtained through the after market but I am pretty sure you would have to find a donor for the roof. In that case the donor car may be a better builder. My advice is always start off with the BEST car you can find/afford.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would post pictures everybody can chime in.

Not seeing anything i would find a better car gen 3 are not hard to find and by the way its sounds your going to replace everything and that take $$$ and time do you have the skills and the time for this journey.
-------------

I am handy and have welded in the past but in this case I thought it would be better (and faster) to pay a shop to replace the metal - then I take it from there. My initial research found it was a pretty steep price tag to replace that much metal. I'll work on getting pics posted.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I’ve got one that I bought as a donor with no intentions to build it but sitting in the shop looking at it the ideas start bouncing around in my head and then I’m off on a new project.. I have no intention to make a show car beauty queen.. It will remain rough and nasty..

I would say if you really want a nice car as an end result then start with the nicest shell you can get ahold of.. If you want to learn how to replace significant amounts of sheet metal then build what you’ve got..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts