Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something everybody should know. It does not matter how much insurance you buy or value you declare on an Ebay part because Fed Ex will only pay $100 MAX. They dont tell you when your adding insurance. Dont believe me, file a claim. Here is what the letter said that they sent me.

As stated in the FedEx Service Guide, packages(including freight shipments) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $100:
-Artwork,paintings,drawings,vases,tapestries,limited edition prints,fine art,statuary,sculptures,collectors items,and customized or personalized musical instruments-Film and photographic images, including negatives,chromes and slides- Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain(which would be ChevyII Nova Ebay parts)-Antiques(any commodity which exhibits the style or fashion of past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value)- Collectors items such as sports cards, souvenirs and memorabillia-Glassware,signs, mirrors,ceramics,porcelains,china,crystal,glass,framed glass and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities-Jewelry,costume jewelry,watches and their parts, mounted gems or stones precious or semi-precious,industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal -Furs,fur clothing, fur trimmed clothing and fur pelts -Precious metals,gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates, or platinum(except as an integral part of electronic machinery) -Stocks,bonds,cash equivalents,food stamps, postage stamps(not stamps or collectibles), travelers checks,lottery tickets,money orders, prepaid calling cards, bond coupons, and bearer bonds- Ostrich and Emu eggs.

Enclosed, you will find a check for $100.00. Please accept this as our full and final settlement of your claim.

The parts where NOS and the Ebayer I bought them from put a declared value much higher than $100. They crushed the pipe.

After this I found out even if they completely lose it and admit that they screwed up they still only give you $100 or less! From now on I only use UPS.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I had shipped a new 64 grille using UPS and was well packaged and had it insured for $250. The box was destroyed and the grille was mangled when it arrived. I had filed a claim with UPS and after 3 months of fighting with them for reimbursement they denies the claim saying that the grille was not properly packaged. Didn't get squat for it!!

Now I use FedEx ground for anything fragile since they havn't broken anything yet.

So who do we use next??:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess we have to spend more on packing. Maybe Titanium sense its strong and light(save on shipping weight):D

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
66nogo2 said:
I guess we have to spend more on packing. Maybe Titanium sense its strong and light(save on shipping weight):D
Maybe make our boxes out of 4x4's and 1/2" plywood!:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NIGHTSHADE said:
Then they would just use your box for a step stool and throw it even harder because it looks unbreakable.:mad:

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
The lady in our shipping department at work has a nephew that works for the post office. According to him the kids that work in the recieving room play football with anything they come across that is marked "Fragile". They think it is funny.

Damn kids.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I've talked to FEDEX about the insurance before. They stressed the packaging of the parts very high. They will pay up to $500.00 on a NOS car parts that can't be replaced. If you need to ship a part that is worth more than $500 you need to insure it with a outside insurer like TRANSGLOBAL. If you only got a $100.00 and it was insured for more, I would make more phone calls to FEDEX. You get up to $100.00 free insurance per package.

I bet the seller didn't add the extra insurance. FEDEX paid the max on the $100 free insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I HATE fedex. I was living in a less than great neihborhood, and they kept leaving packages on my front steps. I lost a new set of BBC headers because they said they left it in my porch, I have no porch! They just left it on the front steps, and when the kids got get out of school (around 3pm) they walk by, see a package and take it. Anyone that drove by that area knew better than to leave a package on the front steps :mad: and they paid the claim, but kept leaving them the packages on the steps!

I had a claim with ups too, got a run around for quite a while, but I eventually got paid. They are better for not leaving the package on the steps, but they crush the boxes! Fedex does not.

So you are damned if you use ups or fedex.

On a side note, I have had great service from usps, I received several packages from them of good size (one was a 40lb pot sandblaster) and never have had a complaint. What is the deal with DHL, is that just for businesses?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I had a damaged part that UPS denied the claim saying it was improperly packed. After I sent them pictures of the box with the middle section now only being 1/8" thick with a tire print across it they paid the claim. Rest of the box was 4" tall.

Have the shipper specify that a signature is required. That usually stops them from dumping the package and running. So someone needs to be there to sign or after their second attempt you will need to go to their office to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chip Beck said:
I've talked to FEDEX about the insurance before. They stressed the packaging of the parts very high. They will pay up to $500.00 on a NOS car parts that can't be replaced. If you need to ship a part that is worth more than $500 you need to insure it with a outside insurer like TRANS GLOBEL. If you only got a $100.00 and it was insured for more, I would make more phone calls to FEDEX. You get up to $100.00 free insurance per package.

I bet the seller didn't add the extra insurance. FEDEX paid the max on the $100 free insurance.
FedEx told me on the phone the declared value was $435 but $100 is max for a refund. :confused:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
NIGHTSHADE said:
That's what i recommend my customers to do.Some of the package jobs i get in i can't believe make it in one piece.Just had a customer send me 67 coupe trim in cardboard pipe via UPS. As soon as i saw it i knew it was bent. He told me he insured it for $1,500. Only the NOS 1/4 mldgs got bent.You MUST use plastic pipe to ship trim in.UPS sucks. I've have yet to have a problem using FedEx. What can UPS destroy for you?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
shipping and insurance..

just checked with my collector car insurance company..they will insure special shipments of high dollar parts..very cheap..I am having something shipped now and $3k in coverage is like $12.00. I sent a description of the part and it's Id #...FYI

wilma:shh:

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
66nogo2 said:
FedEx told me on the phone the declared value was $435 but $100 is max for a refund. :confused:

I think I call and ask FEDEX for their insurance policy in writing. I use them alot. Would hate to get caught with my pants down on something I sold and sent insured.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have used UPS for 26 years. Most of the time they are pretty good, but when the screw up it is always your fault. Improper packaging, is always the standard answer. They will come back and say that after inspecting the package, "we have dertermined that it was improperly packaged" it should be in a double wall container. I tell them sorry but I have only been shipping by UPS for 26 years, and by the way it was in a double wall container. My daily UPS driver says you would not believe how the packages are handled at the station. You would think that for the kind of money UPS pays they would get some decent help. DHL and FedEx do a respectable job from my experience. That's my $0.02 :beer:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Up here, we send everything by horse and buggey. We've never had a damaged shipment yet. The packages smell a little bit though :D
From what I hear so do the people receiving them so no one is complaining:rolleyes: :D :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts