Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me out. I'm going freaking crazy. I'm trying to install a f-body oil pan #1255889 on a lq4 But the pick up tube seems to be hitting the front of the pan.
I also tried to install the pan with just the windage tray #12558189 and no pickup tube. And the tray also hits the pan.
I was told that this pan and pickup came off a 2000 Camaro.
So is there another pickup that will work? And can I cut the windage tray to fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
The part number for the oil pan doesnt come up for a part number so I think you may have forgotten a number in there. Your windage tray part number is for a ls2 gto style oil pan which are longer. My fbody windage tray is 14 inches long and part number 12558253. Sounds to me like you have a fbody pan with a gto windage tray. I have heard of people cutting down windage tray to fit, just do some research on it cause I cant help with any personal experience.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part number for the oil pan doesnt come up for a part number so I think you may have forgotten a number in there. Your windage tray part number is for a ls2 gto style oil pan which are longer. My fbody windage tray is 14 inches long and part number 12558253. Sounds to me like you have a fbody pan with a gto windage tray. I have heard of people cutting down windage tray to fit, just do some research on it cause I cant help with any personal experience.
You're right. I orderded the wrong windage tray. So I'm going to be cutting it down.
As for the pan. According to*http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...8771-p-70.html
It says that 12558899 part number is a old gm number.*
I also forgot to mention. The pickup is also hitting the baffle in the pan.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out my stupid problem. The pick up tube wasnt installed all the way in the oil pump. I had to install the oring onto the pump first then install the pick up tube. Then everything fit perfectly. This freaking car has been fighting me every which way possible.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Make absolutely certain you used the right o ring... you shouldn't have to force it or fight it... if you use the wrong one (there's 2) it'll cause cavitation, oil starvation and a gut wrenching grind and boom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts