Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
great post! i think steve's site should have a tech section where we can permanently put solid info like this.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I second that!! I am forever searching posts for great info that would be more helpful if it was easier to find.

Randy

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I split these off into a new thread.

If there are any threads that should be made into a sticky, then vote for the thread using the 'rate thread' toolbar. The best ones will be stuck at the top.

If there is a topic that has good answers in several places, I can merge similar threads into a single topic and weed out extraneous info.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm with you!

burningsquirrels said:
great post! i think steve's site should have a tech section where we can permanently put solid info like this.
I've suggested it at least twice over the last year myself.

Sticky threads are "O.K." but they just clog up the upper portion of a forum section. They NEED to be moved to a "Tech" or "Tech F.A.Q" titled section. There one can view the numerous redundant questions and get answers without delay or the repeated need for others to respond.

We need a "Vote to F.A.Q" button / option to get the best ones to a Tech Archive section I.M.H.O.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Maxturbo said:
I've suggested it at least twice over the last year myself.

Sticky threads are "O.K." but they just clog up the upper portion of a forum section. They NEED to be moved to a "Tech" or "Tech F.A.Q" titled section. There one can view the numerous redundant questions and get answers without delay or the repeated need for others to respond.

We need a "Vote to F.A.Q" button / option to get the best ones to a Tech Archive section I.M.H.O.
I Agree!
All the sticky threads at the top of the page are very annoying.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
tech arcive would be very helpful and it would clean up the site. I would like to see an FAQ on tire/rim sizes for each of the generations. i see tire questions asked a lot. Nova resource has some info, along with the 2quick novas site, but it would be nice to see a solid reference chart. I'd even be willing to help compile it.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I put in a request for a sub directory or FAQ section that moderators can store the best of Steve's Q&A. The moderators seem to be more focused on keeping flames down in the BS section so for now all we have is the "sticky". Sorry if this "annoys" any one. I get annoyed having to answer the same question over and over.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Can we do something like this?

Excerpt from TwinTurbo.NET (Nissan 300ZX Forum)

FAQ info:

The FAQ we maintain here is a collection of messages boiled down to the pertinent info, hopefully in the most objective fashion possible. When [Voting to FAQ] keep in mind that all messages involved in the voted thread will be taken into account. We never expect one post to cover all aspects of a topic. When a single message in a thread gets voted in, it's flagged & we'll examine the contents of the entire thread & then grind out the most concise answer possible. What does this mean? While the thread is on the forum, & one message is being voted on, if better info is present elsewhere in the thread, keep voting on the one message already garnering votes.

It's democracy in action!

There are a BUNCH of good links we should send to a "TECH INFO" section at a minimum (SBC Head and block #'s info / ID's, Disk / Drum brake swaps, VIN and Cowl decoding etc, etc, etc.). You know, the "standard" GOOD questions with answers that already exist.

NE1 have any other suggestions / forum experiences out there to further discuss?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Maxturbo has hit the nail on the head.Steal this idea,no sense in reinventing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Best of Tech

Thanks to Steve we now have a sub directory that is just for storing Best Of Tech and FAQ's. Let the Me or Mike know if there is a topic that needs archiving. We'll edit it down and store it there.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Finally!

SuuuWEET! :)

Not trying to be critical here, but shouldn't the section stand alone in "General" as opposed to being under "Drivetrain & Performance"? I'm thinking that Paint, Body and other FAQ's will ultimately be posted. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Then you'd have too many posts and all the moderators in one section
They can get their own by asking Steve like I did.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Here is a starter...

Here is a starter...
http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/tech_info.html

Do we need Ray's (and other peoples reference materials) permission to link his article?

Do we need to break down the specific "topic" (probably a good idea) such as in Ray's Tech Info PAGE as linked above, instead of the whole page?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Paul Wright said:
Then you'd have too many posts and all the moderators in one section
They can get their own by asking Steve like I did.
I was thinking that the new section would include FAQ'd excerpts of the sticky threads AND Links listed that are relevant and most informative, like...
http://www.mortec.com/
and
http://www.mpbrakes.com/mpfaq.htm

For instance.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I'm not sure yet. I'm still testing the sub directory for Steve. We have some bugs like Mike's "Vacuum Advance 101" post was moved but only shows up in a search.

Once we get it fine tuned we'll make it a solid resource. I may also edit and distill the responses so it's easier to follow.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I may also edit and distill the responses so it's easier to follow.
That's what I was trying to say in...
excerpts of the sticky threads
I think you're on a roll Paul! If I can help let me know on incorporating this new "Nova Tech Data Base"! ;)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Ok, ALL the FAQ posts were accidently lost when Steve did a file cleanup.
Unfortunately some had pictures (like distributor install views) that we might not be able to replace due to the ban on uploading pictures.

anyway, we will try to re build the FAQ section. If you guys have requests, let us know.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
So what was the final outcome for faqs? Since it was dec 04 since this was last brought up.

Todd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts