Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like posted above, ill take a drive in this arizona heat and ill shut my car off and the fans stay on for quite some time..do you guys think i should just buy a deep cycle gel cell battery of maybe buy an electric waterpump

im just affraid that ill come out and the battery might take a poop..some idea would be great

its the new extreme black magic fan that pulls 3300 cfm..and has i think has an 18.00 amp draw awesome fan just does its job to well

thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
You can wire up a toggle switch under the dash so you can kill the fan, but just remember to turn it back on after it has cooled down before your next drive.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Or cant you wire it to a keyed source with a relay? id do/did that..

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has a adjustable relay box that has a knob on it, i guess i can pop the hood and manually turn it off if im going to leave it for the night..

i was thinking if i leave it for a couple of hours and come back and it not cranking what could i do?? im just being safe than stranded

·
Registered
818 Posts
Without an electric waterpump, once you shut off the motor, the water stops circulating. Depending on where your sensor is, it could take a long time for the cooler water to it.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Pro-touring72 said:
Or cant you wire it to a keyed source with a relay? id do/did that..
This way would get my vote. Ths would make sure that the fans are only running when the key is on.

Hooking up a relay to the main power feed that powers the fan is fairly easy to do. It would only require 4 small wiring changes added to your existing setup:

These connections correspond to numbered posts on the relay:
86. Wire from key-on circuit to relay activation lead
30. Always-on 12V source from battery
87. Main power lead for fans
85. Ground
87A is not used normally.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually it is wired off of my horn relay and has a direct power feed with an inline 30amp fuse in it..could i just disconnect the main power feed from the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Yes you can disconnect the lead, however if you forget to reconnect it..............

I had my car out and disconnected the plug at the fan motor to shut the fan off, but forgot to reconnect it before the drive home. Next thing you know I noticed the temperature at 225 degrees :eek: :mad:

I'll either have to start disconnecting the low speed wire, to at least have the high speed (205 degrees) available when I forget to reconnect the wire (which I will surely do), leave the fan running until it shuts down on its own, or else do some more wiring to only allow the fan to run when the ignition is on.

You'll have to consider your options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts