Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric fan died, not concerned about power leaching, so is there really any advantage to going back electric?

My dad has always swore by the Nylon Flex fans running from the pulley

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,838 Posts
ok --- electric fan vs Factory (engine driven) Fan ...... has been / will never die.

1st thing is : What year car -- engine -- system (radiator, ect. ) .......
plus the 1 million other things that you do with your car. (street / race / sbc / bbc / 6-banger (just had to include that-one). I am not trying too B an a$$.

so, It Really comes down to 'which style you like/want.

my Vote : can't beat the Factory GM Stock 'Fan , clutch , cooling system' .... GM spent millions $$$ on their cooling systems (more money than I have). -- you asked, that's my choice.

I'd do a 'search on this subject' ....... a LOT of INFO already out there.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,592 Posts
My vote is also for a standard clutch fan with a matching fan shroud. Look for either an 18" or 19 1/2" reproduction fan (depending on the fan opening circumference of your fan shroud). I would stay away from flex fans.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not saying any of you are wrong. GM and most auto manufacturers must have put a lot of money and research into electric fans. All cars have them now. They are pretty reliable and probably have no more failure that fan clutches failing.

Just saying......

·
Registered
393 Posts
Fan, fan clutch and shroud, my car will idle all day with the a/c on.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Not saying any of you are wrong. GM and most auto manufacturers must have put a lot of money and research into electric fans. All cars have them now. They are pretty reliable and probably have no more failure that fan clutches failing.

Just saying......
You are RIGHT ... and, in alot of cases will be the only way to make it work. I do agree ------------- but, not my choice.

Thanks, jim

·
6,489 Posts
Which one you choose, a shroud should be part of the cooling system. Without one you are only pulling air from where the fan blades are. Even the first few inches from the center of the fan aren't pulling air. My preference is a GM 7 blade flex fan with shroud. Many of the factory electric fans that come shrouded work well. I currently run a Ford Contour double fan with it's shroud as a unit. Got stuck in traffic on a hot day with the AC running the whole time. I think we moved 1 car length in that time. Zero increase in temperature from normal driving temps. A good fitting shroud pulls air across the entire fin surface at slow speeds. Think of a vacuum being pulled by the fan. If the fan/shroud fit is poor than the vacuum isn't optimum. Not liking some of the aftermarket shrouds that come with aftermarket fans. They are too flat and too close to the fin surface and most don't have flaps to allow good air flow while driving faster. Some actually impede air flow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, guess I should know better to doubt my old man by now.

It's a 71, 350, with no major mods yet

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another vote for a thermostatic engine-driven fan. They soak less power and are RPM limited.

I am leery of flex fans. Without a clutch a fan will spin at engine speed, soaking up power, and more importantly, high centrifugal force at high RPM combined with flexing blades (think metal fatigue) combine to produce a potential exploding piece of shrapnel. I thought they had recalled flex fans from factory cars a few decades ago for that very reason. They can slice through a hood (& human body parts) when they fly apart at speed. Not common, but think about it.

Electric fans came about mainly due to packaging concerns under the hoods of modern cars, and more so the fact that transverse engines in front-wheel-drive configurations dictate them. They are great if your electrical system is upgraded, also greater still if you need the space under the hood and wind up with a "pusher" fan ahead of the radiator.

·
Supporting Vendor
24 Posts
In agreement with most here. For the standard build, standard fan clutch and shroud are the way to go in most cases.

Electric fans can help when space or modifying is limited. No need for them unless doing a high motor build.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What is a good fan clutch to run? I have a 327 in my 64. Right now my car just has a fan attached to the water pump, Id like to add a clutch to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally from working in the trade to working on numerous muscle cars, clutch fan from GM is flawless, keep an eye on the bearing if it spits grease, then its time for a new one. cheap enough at jobber. Id avoid flex fans. I have seen fingers go missing, a rad get a hole and temps run hot.
Just my 1.5 cents:yes:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
What is a good fan clutch to run? I have a 327 in my 64. Right now my car just has a fan attached to the water pump, Id like to add a clutch to it.

Thanks
Well I'm not sure this info would help on your 64 .......... BUT, very good reading & "usage info" for 67 -69 Camaros) (alot of GM Camaro stuff fits & some was used on our Nova's).
Plus ..... there is a ton of 'Research / info on this (CRG) site. Even some stock part #'s ........ then, use (your Factory Assembly Manual Numbers) maybe, to find that part # to start looking at the after-market suppliers.

Mike, If you go to a "fan clutch" ....... you will have to change to a CLUTCH type Fan Blade , also, for the larger center 'hole' . --- like fan blade # 3947772 = 18"dia. , this is what came on my Nova (stock GM Clutch Fan Blade = with large center hole).

http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml#fan

on my 69 Nova ++ factory (250 - six) with A/C & Heavy-Duty Cooling RPO # VO1. -- 3 row HD (V8) Radiator, 7 blade Fan, w/Fan Clutch, no Fan Shroud .

just my though ... jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts