Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, pretty new to this site but not new to Chevys by a long shot. I have a 1968 Nova, putting it back to semi original condition. When I got the car, it had no engine or trans. It has the correct frame GM stands for a big block, GM engine mounts, side mount radiator. Problem is when I mount the fan shroud on the radiator, the fan is not centered in the fan shroud - it's too low and off to the passenger side but much more so low. Anything obvious I should be looking at?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Off Center

Others will likely have more expert advice, but I (have) started with centering the radiator on the bottom of the radiator support.
Next, there are a lot of fan shrounds out there. It is important to have the shroud and fan designed for your application.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My original 69 L78 is the same way, I'm not sure why because the rad is hitting the battery tray, so I can't move it over anymore. I use a wire to tie it and pull it down and after a year the shroud held that shape and it clears by an 1/8".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Msaul, thanks for the input. The radiator is centered on the pads, actually its a bolt on US Radiator replacement radiator and mounts to the radiator support. Currently the bottom tanks are about 1/8" off the lower pads where the rubber mounts would normally be. I have tried both 1968 and 1969 repro fan shrouds and the closest one is for the 69. I'm leaning towards something wrong with the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My original 69 L78 is the same way, I'm not sure why because the rad is hitting the battery tray, so I can't move it over anymore. I use a wire to tie it and pull it down and after a year the shroud held that shape and it clears by an 1/8".
Taz, can you send me pictures? I can post some of my car, currently it has the complete 68 BB setup on it (SWP, etc), so I can run a fan clutch. The end of the fan clutch is about 5/8" from the radiator. The fan is the smaller Camaro version and it still hits the bottom of the shroud but has PLENTY of room on the drivers side and top. I can attach more pictues if needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Taz, can you send me pictures? I can post some of my car, currently it has the complete 68 BB setup on it (SWP, etc), so I can run a fan clutch. The end of the fan clutch is about 5/8" from the radiator. The fan is the smaller Camaro version and it still hits the bottom of the shroud but has PLENTY of room on the drivers side and top. I can attach more pictues if needed.
I will, but it won't be till later this evening, I'm at work until 7. I'm running a Camaro 4 core, fixed 6 blade fan that is 18" across with my car. I have about an inch on the top driver side and thight on the lower passenger side.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
This is the passenger side and bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taz, thanks for the pictures, that's EXACTLY what mine is doing, crashing on the passenger side lower and tons of room drivers side upper. I thought something was seriously wrong with my car but maybe GM just built them like that? My brothers 67 Camaro does not have the same problem... Maybe I'll try the 68 shroud or go to electric fans or a fabricated shroud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts