Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting my engine together I was wondering how close the fan should be to the radiator ..It looks to be anywhere from 7 to 8 inche's away from it right now..I do have an 1 1/2 extention adaptor on it ...Is that fine or does it need to be closer? ...I don't have a shroud yet, I'm going to have one made by someone here in town...Now that the engine is in ( ya hoo )..I'll have a million ?????????????????????????'s

·
6,493 Posts
Without a shroud the fan should be around 3/4" from the rad. No spacer is going to do that for you. It's best to put a shroud on and have the fan enter into the shroud around a third of the fan thickness(eg if the fan is 3" thick then the fan should be 1" into the shroud). The fan diameter should be as big as possible but some clearance to get the best efficency.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You could add a factory radiator spacer between the core support and the radiator. These came on cars without the HD radiator. They space the rad 1 1/2" closer to the fan, then your fan should be in the right location of your shroud.

They're on ebay frequently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts