Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running to control the fans? Was thinking about going with the Dakota Digital to integrate into the gauges. I like the progressive power with some of the others though too

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I’m using the ECM to control the fans through the entropy controler. Also using Trinary switch from vintage air to control ac fan on through the entrophy controller.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I’m using the ECM to control the fans through the entropy controler. Also using Trinary switch from vintage air to control ac fan on through the entrophy controller.
Please explain what the Entropy controller does in this case. I'm assuming you can set your fan on/off temps to whatever you want. Can't this all be done with HP Tuners or EFI Live and then no need for the controller? I'm setting mine up to have the ecm trigger the fans and also use a trinary switch for the VA.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Please explain what the Entropy controller does in this case. I'm assuming you can set your fan on/off temps to whatever you want. Can't this all be done with HP Tuners or EFI Live and then no need for the controller? I'm setting mine up to have the ecm trigger the fans and also use a trinary switch for the VA.
It’s a self contained controller. It has dip switches you set to control when the fans come on and off. It also has a wire to run to the trinary switch. That will kick both fans on when the ac is turned on. I think it’s a pretty slick setup.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am also using the Entrophy controller.. my PCM managed grounds failed on me (no idea why) and had a nasty spike in coolant temp I dont want to repeat.

I put in the Entrophy controller and it is solid equipment. FAT lead wires, HD case.. it means business... and cheaper than blown head gaskets!

·
Registered
586 Posts
It’s a self contained controller. It has dip switches you set to control when the fans come on and off. It also has a wire to run to the trinary switch. That will kick both fans on when the ac is turned on. I think it’s a pretty slick setup.
I understand what it is and how it works but what i was wanting to know is how and why Nova 404 was running his through his ecm. I would think one would want to do it one way or the other and i don't understand how or why you'd want both. In my thinking i figure GM spent millions figuring out how to control the fans through the ecm and if it's good enough for millions of cars out there it'll likely be good enough for my swap. Not saying anyone is wrong I'm just trying to learn and understand more.

·
Registered
281 Posts
With the Entropy controller you have the relays and fuses all in one neat package. You also have the option to control the fans with your ecm or use the dip switches in the box. It also brings the fans in slowly so there isn’t a spike to the electrical system.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've got a BP Automotive wiring harness and it has the three relays and ac pressure switch built in. Hopefully i won't have to add a external control. With that said I've seen them and they are a nice setup. I didn't realize they had the relays etc with them.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I understand what it is and how it works but what i was wanting to know is how and why Nova 404 was running his through his ecm. I would think one would want to do it one way or the other and i don't understand how or why you'd want both. In my thinking i figure GM spent millions figuring out how to control the fans through the ecm and if it's good enough for millions of cars out there it'll likely be good enough for my swap. Not saying anyone is wrong I'm just trying to learn and understand more.
It was 5 years ago, I think the main issue I had was no location for fan sensor. Older radiator. Same job can be acheived with multiple relays but the controller is nice and compact

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My entropy controller finally smoked. It was intermittent then fried the fuse and part of the harness while in Reno for Hot August Nights. Then, after disconnecting that side and running just one fan to limp home, the other fan quit. So, looks like I may try a Flexalite controller with the 60% soft start. Luckily I was able to make a jumper to get one of the fans to stay in directly wired to the battery. 240 degrees is a little hot, it got to 250 momentarily

1 - 10 of 10 Posts