Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will any fan clutch work properly in either direction? I want to use one with my serpentine set up w/reverse rotation. If not, what GM application uses a reverse rotation fan clutch. Most serpentine systems I've seen uses an electric fan. Thanks for any help.....Lynn

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Lynn, not sure if it'll work opposite direction, but what are you going to do about a fan? Just curious. I've got a clutch fan also, but car isn't running yet. Soon I hope. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lynn, not sure if it'll work opposite direction, but what are you going to do about a fan? Just curious. I've got a clutch fan also, but car isn't running yet. Soon I hope. Dave
Dave, Locating a fan doesn't seem to be a problem as they are available most anywhere, parts stores, Summit, Jegs, etc. I just can't seem to locate a clutch that specifies reverse rotation or counterclockwise. I'm running a serpentine system with a Spal "puller" electric fan (thermostat controled) with no cooling issues, but it's pretty noisy so that's why I'd like to switch to a clutch fan. Thanks for your input, though. Lynn

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a reverse rotation clutch and fan on my GM belt drive set up. Its a "nonthermal" type.
Not all can so you need to make sure you get the correct one.
Think this is the one I used but could be wrong, got it from Advance Auto parts.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=DER-21037&N=700+-79576+115&autoview=sku
Mike, Does your set-up seem to work like it should, at idle and highway speeds? I run an electric fan now (thermostat controled) with no cooling issues, but I don't really like the noise of the fan. Thanks...Lynn

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
absolutely

Yes it works great. Prior to this I ran an 18" flexalite but got tired of the noise. With the clutch and 18" Derale fan it now runs about 5* cooler, go figure! Never gets hotter then 185* even on round robins at the track.

Get the largest fan your shroud will allow, assuming you have one. If I remember right stay about 1" smaller then the diameter of the shroud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts