Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
13,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 63-65 is there a way to tell if an a/c system was factory or dealer installed?

Bob

·
13,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
13,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the question remains, how can you tell the difference from factory a/c and dealer a/c on 1st gens? Factory a/c required a different heater box. Did dealer a/c swap heater boxes, too. A different oil dipstick tube was used on a/c cars. It had a bend in it to clear the a/c compressor bracket. Did they swap these out on dealer installs? Anybody know?

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
So, the question remains, how can you tell the difference from factory a/c and dealer a/c on 1st gens? Factory a/c required a different heater box. Did dealer a/c swap heater boxes, too. A different oil dipstick tube was used on a/c cars. It had a bend in it to clear the a/c compressor bracket. Did they swap these out on dealer installs? Anybody know?

Bob
Dang good question :yes::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts

Bob

Hi Bob, this comment i'm thinking would be related to a six cylinder engine, not a V8... just hoping to clarify for replies. the V8's dipstick is on driver's side, sixer is passenger side. ;)

and i'm amazed as NovaBoy Dave... here the NovaGod is asking mere mortals for info... oh my Gosh!!! ;) hehehhe ;)

be well, i'm hoping someone can surprise you with a tid bit of info you weren't aware of. (i find it hard to believe someone would know something you didn't) i bow to your knowledge... you're our NovaGod. :notworthy:

·
13,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bob, this comment i'm thinking would be related to a six cylinder engine, not a V8... just hoping to clarify for replies. the V8's dipstick is on driver's side, sixer is passenger side. ;)
Thanks for clarifying that, John. I was using my stock '63 as the basis for the questions.

Bob

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I looked through my database of tags. Out of about 200 tags, only 3 have the K marked on them. For some reason Oakland is the only plant that I have tags with the K on them. None of the Kansas City cars have the C60 either.

Since they built 13,389 cars in 63 with A/C, I imagine most of them didnt get marked on the cowl tag.

·
13,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked through my database of tags. Out of about 200 tags, only 3 have the K marked on them. For some reason Oakland is the only plant that I have tags with the K on them. None of the Kansas City cars have the C60 either.

Since they built 13,389 cars in 63 with A/C, I imagine most of them didnt get marked on the cowl tag.
Good info. We've always been told that options coded on cowl tags were those that directed some sort of action by Fisher Body workers. Factory a/c required drilling several holes in the firewall, rad support and in the floor at the bottom of the toe board (evaporator drain holes). It seems all these things would dictate a 'K' directive on the cowl tag, but I guess only in Oakland:rolleyes:.

Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Anyone can chime in if they disagree but FWIW

...looking through many different manuals tsb's dealer pocketbooks brochures ect ect I seem to see and wanted to share a tidbit of info.... that when a/c was factory ordered ... tinted glass was also part of that option as a sort of comfort and convienance package if yah know what I mean. So if someone is trying to narrow down whether a car was FACTORY a/c it would have to have E (tinted glass all windows) on the first line cowl not W (tinted windshield front upper). no E no factory a/c it's a way to dismiss a car as not factory a/c. but not a way to say it is. fwiw
Also two things the underdash unit is slightly different for dealer install vs factory install, at least on '65's and factory install had a bracket from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the compressor and dealer install a/c got a completely new manifold almost identicle to the drivers side.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
...looking through many different manuals tsb's dealer pocketbooks brochures ect ect I seem to see and wanted to share a tidbit of info.... that when a/c was factory ordered ... tinted glass was also part of that option as a sort of comfort and convienance package if yah know what I mean. So if someone is trying to narrow down whether a car was FACTORY a/c it would have to have E (tinted glass all windows) on the first line cowl not W (tinted windshield front upper). no e no factory a/c it's a way to dismiss a car as not factory a/c. but not a way to say it is. fwiw
in other words, this tag for an air conditioned equipped car would indicate a dealer installed AC unit?

thanks ;)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Good info. We've always been told that options coded on cowl tags were those that directed some sort of action by Fisher Body workers. Factory a/c required drilling several holes in the firewall, rad support and in the floor at the bottom of the toe board (evaporator drain holes). It seems all these things would dictate a 'K' directive on the cowl tag, but I guess only in Oakland:rolleyes:.

Bob
Bob, i have a few holes in the tunnel area of my '64 that aren't anything console related... i'll get images tomorrow... maybe you/someone can shed some light on the purpose... AC or whatever...

Thanks.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarification... as far as i know the tag shown is on a factory equipped car. i'll get the other images of the floor holes, maybe that will assist with Bob's question/answers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarification... as far as i know the tag shown is on a factory equipped car. i'll get the other images of the floor holes, maybe that will assist with Bob's question/answers.
I was going to ask you is that " close up pic of the trim tag only" the same one as the pics of the fiirewall and tag?? I seem to see the firewall pics showing the trim tag has been painted white?? as many were.... but it's very hard to see from the close up tag only pic any hint of two colors like the firewall pics seem to show ?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the previous owner fogged the firewall with flat black primer. i hit the firewall with walnut shells to clean it up a little. i'll be doing more clean up...

those are my firewall and tag images... i'll have to look closer in the morning to determine undercoat color. i don't want to go off of memory. i'll post back tomorrow on it.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Allow me to muddle things possibly further... I just talked to a friend who has been around the cars for decades and his recollection is in 63' and 64' A/C was only dealer installed. You could order it at the time of purchase and the vehicle would arrive with the complete A/C kit "in the box" to be installed by the dealer. I have seen these kits for sale on eBay many years ago. Depending on when the A/C was ordered for the car could dictate if the car got the tinted glass or not. My former boss, his family owned a Chevy dealership in the 60's and 70's and he said his 69' Camaro arrived from the factory with some of the options still in the box in the trunk. I am going to consult the 63' assembly manual this evening and see if that sheds any light on this.

As for 1965, I recall either the owner's manual or the shop manual (or both) have pages on dealer vs. factory installed A/C including pictures of the under dash unit. I think the knobs and the front bright work differed (working from memory here). If verified, that could be an indication of 65' being the first year the factory installed the A/C.

As for the holes in the upper trans tunnel, as stated before, those are for the A/C drains. I have never seen an A/C car without them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts