Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering could you get a factory tach in a 1970 bench seat 4sp car??? I have never seen one and im guessing the tach and gauges was a package deal so if there was no console was it possible to still get the tach??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Factory Tach...

The tachometer was part of the gauge package...basically this moved the gas gauge from the dash to the console. So, there was no in dash tach without the gauge package..and no gauge package without the console option.

There is a nice aftemarket in-dash tach made by Shiftworks that replaces the clock...nice unit, looks factory.

http://shiftworks.com/tachs-nova.htm#1968

wilma

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link...and I thought it was only available as a package no consloe no tach

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The Nova tach, was the most expensive option, because to get a tach you needed to order the gauges, which included the console, but to get the console you now needed to upgrade to buckets. By the time you were done, you had a tach that was tricky to read and spent big money for it!:eek:

The aftermarket one posted is a great cost affective way to keep the car original appearing.:yes:

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
We have the Shiftworks unit in our 68 BB car...it works great and looks like it came from the factory.

wilma
We have one of those in our '72 as well. I think you can see it better,since it's on the right side of the instrument cluster

·
Premium Member
748 Posts

I'm using the Shifworks tach also. It is a sweet unit. As a side note, I hated seeing the clock-stem hole not being used after the tach install so I ended up putting a red shift-light in that hole. I went to Jegs and bought a small red light along with an RPM-activated switch. The one I bought is an MSD unit that uses the same "chip" as my 6AL box. I have a 5000 RPM chip in the RPM-activated switch that turns the red light that I mounted in the clock hole on at 5000 RPM. It's not real practical in the daylight because I'm watching the street instead of the tach but it looks pretty sweet and even "factory" to non-Nova guys and gals!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts