Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm buying a 65 SS car and it had factory air. All that's left of the parts to it though is what is inside the car, pictured below. The compressor and everything under the hood was removed in an engine change. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to make the old unit work again, or is there a more efficient and less expensive was to add A/C to an old Nova?

I didn't find the 4-speed car so I'll be working on that conversion soon. I've PM'd a couple of members regarding those parts that they may have for sale.

I'll be asking a lot questions along the way as I work on the new car, and as always, I appreciate all your help.

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks like a nice car more pics would be cool.
Locating all the correct factory a/c parts should be fairly easy and worth the time IMO for sure. Actually I think someone just had one complete for sale here last week or so??
As far as the 4 speed conversion the console would be the hardest of the find, but again there are at least 2 or 3 for sale right now.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I agree, I would go through the effort of putting the A/C back together again. A lot of the under hood parts are either available new or the same as other GM cars of the period. To me the under dash parts have always been the difficult items to come by.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if it's not a factory equipped AC car, there may be more missing items than you think...

is the AC heater box installed? the heater boxes are different for an AC car than a std non-AC car.

the under dash AC unit, the condenser, compressor, hoses etc aren't too too difficult to get... but the heater box is...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory A/C

It is a factory A/C car, according to the cowl tag. I think the 'K' is for the A/C and the 'M' is powerglide and the 'P' is push-button radio. So, I'm hopeful I could get the other parts and have the A/C working.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
13,690 Posts
It is a factory A/C car, according to the cowl tag. I think the 'K' is for the A/C and the 'M' is powerglide and the 'P' is push-button radio. So, I'm hopeful I could get the other parts and have the A/C working.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike S.
Tennessee
The 'K' on the cowl tag is a/c, so that and the evaporator style would make this a factory a/c car. I think it's very worthwhile to put the stock a/c system back in the car.

Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here is a pic of the 65 66 dealer a/c underdash unit.
There are a few differences between dealer and true factory setups for 1965. Some of the differences are.... there is a bracket for mounting the compressor to the passenger side exhaust manifold on factory equipped cars. Where as the dealer style got a complete new passenger side manifold that looks exactly the same as the drivers side. If you compare the underdash units. Dealer type has 4 circular vents where as the factory type has 2 circular (one on either end) and one long rectangular vent in the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
There are a few differences between dealer and true factory setups for 1965. Some of the differences are.... there is a bracket for mounting the compressor to the passenger side exhaust manifold on factory equipped cars. Where as the dealer style got a complete new passenger side manifold that looks exactly the same as the drivers side. If you compare the underdash units. Dealer type has 4 circular vents where as the factory type has 2 circular (one on either end) and one long rectangular vent in the center.
Some good reading
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94849&page=2

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts

If you end up needing the compressor brackets, let me know.

Is the condenser still in the car?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought the 4 ball was 66-67.
could it be a mid year (65) change over?

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I thought the 4 ball was 66-67.
could it be a mid year (65) change over?
Actually in 62-64 A/C was installed in all cars at the factory and the dealer removed the A/C from the cars that did not have it optioned. This lead to a glut of dealer removed A/C units laying around which were reinstalled in 65. At the same time a new style was introduced causing there to be two possible setups. Some cars actually came with two under dash A/C units due to poor documentation and general confusion. One can identify these cars by the copious, random crayon markings in the engine compartment. Starting in 66 Chevy sent A/C optioned Novas to have the system installed at Lincoln / Mercury dealers. Look for blue paint on these units.

Sorry, I had too.... :devil: :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually in 62-64 A/C was installed in all cars at the factory and the dealer removed the A/C from the cars that did not have it optioned. This lead to a glut of dealer removed A/C units laying around which were reinstalled in 65. At the same time a new style was introduced causing there to be two possible setups. Some cars actually came with two under dash A/C units due to poor documentation and general confusion. One can identify these cars by the copious, random crayon markings in the engine compartment. Starting in 66 Chevy sent A/C optioned Novas to have the system installed at Lincoln / Mercury dealers. Look for blue paint on these units.

Just curious where did ya dig up that info from??

·
Registered
125 Posts

I dont mind the joke, But that still doesnt answer the question.
is the 4 ball ac box 65-67 like you say or 66-67 like everyone I have ever seen?

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I dont mind the joke, But that still doesnt answer the question.
is the 4 ball ac box 65-67 like you say or 66-67 like everyone I have ever seen?
I do not have one any more, but the 65' owners manual covers both the factory and dealer installed A/C with rudimentary pictures. My non-joking assumption is they were using both the 4-ball and 2-ball units in 65, probably to phase out stock and move to a new design. Coming from a manufacturing stand point, it seems a likely logical thing to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts