Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not completely ready for the A/C unit on my car yet but am looking for one possibly to buy and just hold until I am ready. Anyways I was thinking about a Vintage Air unit but then again wanted to get some oppinions on a stock 63 unit. I kind of like the dealer option one with the 4 bullet/round style vents and polished front. How good would a stock type unit like this cool the interior of my wagon compaired to a Vintage unit? I like the looks of the factory under dash ones because it gives the interior that retro type of look and feel. Any info would be greatly appreciated as well as the type of compressor and such I'd run in the engine compartment.
It would be great if I can do a unit like this for well under $1000-$1200.
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I am not completely ready for the A/C unit on my car yet but am looking for one possibly to buy and just hold until I am ready. Anyways I was thinking about a Vintage Air unit but then again wanted to get some oppinions on a stock 63 unit. I kind of like the dealer option one with the 4 bullet/round style vents and polished front. How good would a stock type unit like this cool the interior of my wagon compaired to a Vintage unit? I like the looks of the factory under dash ones because it gives the interior that retro type of look and feel. Any info would be greatly appreciated as well as the type of compressor and such I'd run in the engine compartment.
It would be great if I can do a unit like this for well under $1000-$1200.
Thanks for any info!
I would go with after market, and buy a kit this way you get all the brackets pulleys and every thing else you need to have a clean installation, trying to piece together a factory A/C unit could wind up costing you more money and headaches

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
I'm going to use a stock evaporator unit with modern upgrades

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there no way to get the kid from Vintage Air for the brackets, lines, etc and then use the box unit under the dash? I just like the look that is all. It's not a MUST have, I wouldn't mind going with the Vintage Air unit with their roung bullet style vents in the dash either.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Is there no way to get the kid from Vintage Air for the brackets, lines, etc and then use the box unit under the dash? I just like the look that is all. It's not a MUST have, I wouldn't mind going with the Vintage Air unit with their roung bullet style vents in the dash either.
You could easily duct the air from the vintage air evaporator into a hollowed out stock evap unit. That would be cool and would probably be a world record.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Or you could just buy the nos complete kit from Novajoe:yes: After I found all the original and some nos parts and then sending some of it here and there and doing alot of the restoration myself it will be over $3_____ Feel free to fill in the blanks because I will have spent even more than that by the time the cold air is blowing.:confused:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Novajoe is selling a kit? Yeah $3,000 or more would be rediculous for me since I do not have that kind of funding for just an A/C system in my car. Would be nice but just will not happen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
speaking of a/c and stuff, would the a/c compressor on a ls1 work with a vintage air unit? i'd like to use the compressor on my ls1 seeing as how it came with the motor in the first place. i guess i'm just concerned about the
ls1 being metric and the vintage air unit being standard (i'm assuming). thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts