Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking through some of the installatio documents from Air Ride Tech and Air Lift, I have been toying with the idea of dropping the 66 more door down into the weeds.

Anyone else buy a couple bags and fab up a system on their 1st or 2nd gen Nova/ChevyII?

How about with cut springs and lowering blocks (instead of drop spindles and dearched springs) , to keep the cost CHEAP !! ??

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
6,407 Posts
I went with Shockwaves for the front on my 64 last year. For the rear I dearched the springs and made 2 1/2" lowering blocks. The 65 had Air lift company front bags that did the job but didn't ride that great. Some of that ride issue could have been the 17" 40 series tires on the 65 compared with 15" 60 series on the 64. Now I've removed the 64 parts and am in the pricess of putting TCI front and rear suspension with Shockwaves all around. Here's a shot of the 64 with last years suspension:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Air Bags

How did it ride with the 15's and bags? Looks like it sits real nice.
I was thinking the leaf/bag set-up on the rear and Shockwaves up front. I guess long term it would be better to put a clip up front, and Shockwave 4 link in back. I just don't have the budget right now to do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My painter fabed a system for me...He made the brackets and I also had the real leafs de-arched about 3 inches. The system runs through air switches that flow the air directly through them so there are no solenoids. Works really good. I haven't driven it yet on the bags though since I just got the motor dropped in last weekend. It sits so low I can't fit my hand under the front Heidts subframe!

I can PM you a number if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
fabbing up a air system shouldnt be too hard if you have some metal working skills, mostly welding, the brackets on all the kits are faily simple,
the problem is the cost of the bags and the air management system (compressor, tanks, etc) and also if you want it to be an automatic system (switches in the car) it takes a bit of time to wire the elec and air lines in the system

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't go as far as saying I have skills, but you are right, the brackets don't look that hard at all !! (Man, I need a plasma cutter !!!)

Yes, I agree that the Air Management system is going to be the pricey part, but the bags seem relatively cheap.

Anyone else conjuired up a system?

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i didn't conjure up a system, but a lot of the mini truck guys use www.suicidedoors.com for their air setup....if you have a parker store near you they can get you just about everything you could need....it is not hard but make sure it is safe and reliable...

we had a customer with a "custom" setup on his 00' jetta...had a huge leak, couldn't find it with the car on the ground, nor could we trailer it, so he drove it the few miles to our shop and luckily for him it was a couple broken fittings and the drive didn't take out anything major...think about serviceability when you plan it out because odds are there may be a problem and you want to be able to access/fix/diagnose it as quickly as possible....ex: putting a shrader valve in the inlet side in case compressor dies

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was going to build one for the rear of my nova. I think the homework is in the bags. Anybody know if those f9000 bags(firestone) are the right ones

arndog

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
- "putting a shrader valve in the inlet side in case compressor dies"

That's a great idea !!!

Thanks
Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
6,407 Posts
arndog said:
I was going to build one for the rear of my nova. I think the homework is in the bags. Anybody know if those f9000 bags(firestone) are the right ones

arndog
I used sleeve type bags on the 65. Ride was excellent. TCI uses Shockwaves with 9000 size bags while Air ride Technologies uses sleeve type(7000) Shockwaves. According to TCI, they haven't had any complaints with the 9000 size Shockwaves. I think the sleeve type bags I used were rated around 750 lbs. each.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts