Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Its been a while since I last posted here. Some of you might remeber my previous thread on fitting and modifying a Heidts MII crossmember front clip on my 64 4dr a couple months ago.
I plan on running my 194 6 cyl engine in this car. Problem was that there are absolutly no frame/ engine mounts avaliable to put one of these 6 cyls in a mustang II front end. Most, if not everyone runs a V8 with one of these front suspensions. My front crossmember is an older Heidts weld in unit that I bought used. What they fail to mention in their instruction sheet is how to build the mounts and the oil pan changes needed to clear the crossmember in these early Novas. so I had to figure it out for myself.

Heres the engine. I had to change to a regular rear sump pan along with the related oil pump pickup and dipstick changes.
[/IMG]

After bolting on the TH350 transmission, I set the engine in the bay. I bolted up the modified trans crossmember and centered the engine between the rails. I also installed the radiator and front pulley with fan to make sure I had everything in place with plenty of clearance up front.
[/IMG]

I then bolted in the stock Nova front crossmember to set the engine height. The bottom of the pan typically sets about 3/4 above this crossmember. i places a piece of 3/4 wood between the engine and crossmember and set the engine down on this.At this time I also bolted in the steering rack and made sure it cleared the pan.
[/IMG]

Heres a view of the rear sump clearance to the MII crossmember. Plenty here.
[/IMG]

Heres the passenger side engine mount in relation to the crossmeber.
[/IMG]

Heres the drivers side view. This side will be a little tricky to clear the steering shaft. Note flaming river u-joint with welded on 3/4 round tube for mock up purposes.
[/IMG]

Heres the stock Nova frame mounts. I bought an extra set to modify for this build instead of using the ones originally off my car. I went ahead and sandblasted these in preparation to be modified to fit.
[/IMG]

The trick here is to make a thin cardboard template of the mount and fit and trim on it before making any cuts to the real thing. I got ahead of my self and started trimming before I took a pic.
[/IMG]

Heres the template in place and being trimmed to fit in place of the mounts. This will let you know where and how much to cut off the stock mounts to avoid any mistakes.
[/IMG]

Place the template on the mounts and mark where the cut is to be made.
[/IMG]

Here is the trimmed stock mount. Since I wanted these to be removeable frame mounts, I cut a section of rectangular tubing to fit over the crossmember. I will fit and weld the modified stock mounts to these plates. The plates will get holes drilled in them and matching holes drilled in the crossmember so these can be bolted in the crossmember.
[/IMG]

Heres the cut down stock mount set in place for fitment check. Note the frame plate in between the crossmeber and frame mount. I will drill holes in the front and rear of this plate and run a long bolt to secure it to the frame. Much like a motormount bolt.
[/IMG]

Repeat the proceedure for the other side. the mounts are now ready to weld in place.
[/IMG]

The back side of the driverside mount had to be notched to clear the steering shaft and U-joint. I will eventually reinforce this area. Note holes drilled through mount plate and frame for hold down bolt. This side is ready to weld the mount to the frame plate.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres the mounts welded to the plates and bolted to the frame on the drivers side. I used one long bolt for the sides and two shorter bolts for the upper middle. I am thinking of welding the upper middle bolt heads to the plate and boxing the top of the frame mounts for a cleaner appearance.
[/IMG]

Heres the passengerside welded in and bolted up.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres the clearance with the u-joint I am using. This part was on order from Speedway when I did all the install fabrication work. Luckily it cleared the mount despite it being different than the flaming river u-joint i used durring mock up.
[/IMG]

Heres a shot of the clearance between the pan and Nova crossmember and steering rack. This is with the full engine weight on the mounts.
[/IMG]

Heres the finished install. Best part is that I used the original stock 62-67 mounts and didn't have to rely on any fancy expensive aftermarket parts. if I ever need to replace a motor mount, I can do so with ease by getting stock replacements from any local parts store. also if I ever would want to change over to a V8, I can easily unbolt the frame mounts rather than having to cut them off.
I think I may have made all those unwanted cheap original stock 6cyl frame mounts worth a lot more..LOL
[/IMG]

Hope this helps out anyone thinking of running a 6cyl with a Mustang II suspension.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
looks like you made some real good progress...you're making me jealous, can't wait to pull mine apart...

did your crossmember come w/ V8 mounts already welded on? or was it blank?
I like the way you made it removable, incase you swap over to a V8 one day no cutting
first one I've seen w/ a clip and a six, probably not that many out there....

I think on mine I'm going to try and make it work w/ the V8 mounts already on the clip (tci clip) and build off that (I'll probably modify the brackets that mount to the motor)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Aftermarket clip and a six banger, I LOVE IT! Looks like a well thought out process with good results.

Now im seeing all this room for a custom header and a TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like you made some real good progress...you're making me jealous, can't wait to pull mine apart...

did your crossmember come w/ V8 mounts already welded on? or was it blank?
I like the way you made it removable, incase you swap over to a V8 one day no cutting
first one I've seen w/ a clip and a six, probably not that many out there....

I think on mine I'm going to try and make it work w/ the V8 mounts already on the clip (tci clip) and build off that (I'll probably modify the brackets that mount to the motor)
It originally didn't have V8 mounts with the kit, but did have some fabricated V8 mounts for a late model LT1 still on it that a friend of mine set it up for when the clip was in his 66 wagon a few years ago. I cut them off. He made them from the original V8 frame mounts, which gave me the idea to use the 6cyl frame mounts on my build.
I'm not sure how different a TCI clip is front a Heidts weld in kit as far as dimensions go. Its worth a try to make your existing V8 frame mounts work. Might work with the 6 cyl block mount brakets off a non-Nova car or truck possibly. Only way to know is to try.. Keep us posted on your method.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Now im seeing all this room for a custom header and a TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!
that's exactly what I was thinking, now the motor looks even smaller.... could probably fit a turbo set up and two spare tires up there now...
hey how about twin inlines, probably only get a total of 200hp, but you would definately freak some people out when you pop the hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts